Is Multi Channel Analogue still an option?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone, here's my dilemma. I need to build a complete HT system on a budget including a new TV, Receiver and Blu-ray player. I also want to listen to music, this is an important consideration.

So where should the budget cuts be made? Not the TV, it's got to be a 4-5 star pick, so it has to be the receiver or Blu-ray.

I'm wondering for example if the thing to do is buy a hi spec legacy receiver (no HDMI) for under 200 quid on ebay, then spend a little more on a Blu-ray player with multi-channel out and HD Audio DACs on board? Something like the 5 star Sony BDP-S550 maybe? http://is.gd/uVSwrQ

The way I see it this solution has Pro's and Cons.

Pro's:

I assume some of the legacy receivers from Denon, Sony, Pioneer, etc have significantly better specs and amps than say a 400 quid new receiver. Is that valid?

Less expensive overall. The difference between HD audio enabled Blu-ray players and Receivers is less (about 80 quid)

Easier to upgrade, just buy a new Blu-ray player

Potentially better music performance

Con's:

Potentially more complex to use with TV and Receiver sources needing switching: could be solved with a good programable remote.

May lose some DSP funtionality with analgoue inputs - need to check receiver before buying

No upscaling from my NMT, or SKY. This can't be fixed or can the TV do this?

Any thoughts? Am I nuts? Should I just buy an Onkyo TX-SR606 for 200 quid (remanufactured) and just use HDMI across the board?

Would it's music and movie audio be as good as a Sony DA1200ES, Pioneer VSX-D812-S or Yamaha DSP-AX757se which are selling for 120-150 quid on eBay?

unfocused

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
I had an Arcam AVR350 which I really loved and bought a Cambridge Audio 650BD then connected it via 6 channel analogue connections. I had terrible lip-sync problems from day one. The 650BD had no way to correct this and the Arcam could only fix any lip sync problems through the digital connection. In the end I sold the lot, started from scratch and bought a Marantz UD5005 and SR6005 wiich I'm more than happy with.

nads

I remember somthing about from some date all BD players will be HDMI out only and new discs will be encoded to only play back via the HDMI. Now I may have dreamt it or miss read something but I do seem to remember it causeing quite a few comment from the custom insttallers who seem to prefer not to wire up with HDMI but comonent?

So have a good look around if no one can link to that if it is/was true as it could negate any saving/quality gains.

A

Anonymous

I've read that too, but I beleive this relates to Video playback only at this point, and anyway you can still by the Sony above so I'm future proofed for a few more years anyway. Rmember the Video is over HDMI direct to the TV so HDCP will still be negotiated ok.

There's a lot of top spec 5 year old amps out there with zero HDMI inputs which are going for a few quid on eBay. Seems a shame not to take advantage of all that great kit.

A

Anonymous

I've read that too, but I beleive this relates to Video playback only at this point, and anyway you can still by the Sony above so I'm future proofed for a few more years anyway. Rmember the Video is over HDMI direct to the TV so HDCP will still be negotiated ok.

There's a lot of top spec 5 year old amps out there with zero HDMI inputs which are going for a few quid on eBay. Seems a shame not to take advantage of all that great kit.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have tried the older Receivers and preamps.. Ofcourse they sound good but there is a always a sacrifice with respect to the ease or features or something else..

I am selling off my Classe and possibly go for a new SR6005 just to keep life that much simpler..

TRENDING THREADS