Very dissapointed in first demo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

He put some 685's with it, but although a slightly warmer sound. It still fell far short, I just wish that some of you people had been with me.

As I said, I had to use the Bass adjustment up, to get any decent level of Bass. But dont get me wrong, I am not someone who wants the Bass booming out. There was just nothing there.

The one thing I did do, was take a varied selection of CD's.

Thanks

respe

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
as you live in sheffield, pop into moorgate and have a listen to the Rega apollo/Brio/ Rs 3's. Although the 3's are floorstanders I think they would fit into your room.

When you have heard that, then you can decide if you need more bass., more sparkle etc. Moorgate are fairly good at letting you settle in and listen, and swapping componets for you.

matthewpiano

massari:
Hey John,

I have booked to go to richer sounds next Friday at Sheffield, to listen to the 2 Cambridge systems, but I will ask to try a different pair of speakers other than the Mezzo's.

One question that I will ask you. As with the 2 Cambridge systems, one amp is 75 watts per chanel and the other is 120 watts per chanel. Now I doubt that I would use the full power of either amp, even if I do normaly listen at a high volume. But do you gain any think extra with sound with more power, ie, is it better at low volume listening or anything else.

Cheers

The Mezzos are stunning speakers and you would do well to hear them with the Cambridge electronics - the synergy between CA and Mordaunt-Short is excellent.

A

Anonymous

respe:
as you live in sheffield, pop into moorgate and have a listen to the Rega apollo/Brio/ Rs 3's. Although the 3's are floorstanders I think they would fit into your room.

Agree here, I've dealt with Moorgate Acoustics in Sheffield before, they will bend over backwards to help you get the best for your budget.

SteveR750

If you are finding that the 684s are severely lacking in bass, then posibly the demo room is unsuitable. Tyr another dealer, as someone else posted they are not bass shy, and neither is the bottom end tuneless and flabby - they are a classy pair os speakers. Of course, be prepared to admit that you simply don't like the neutral uncoloured sound that a good hi fi system presents. A lot of people don't.

A

Anonymous

I am going to listen to the 684's again at Mooregate in Shefield, along wth the 685's, also going to try Dynaudio Dm 2/7's. Along with the Naim Audio Nait 5i-2 amp, and Rega Apollo CD.

Yes, maybe the neutral uncoloured sound, might not be my choice of sound, so it will be interesting to listen to other set ups, at different places and see what happens. Who knows, it maybe a case of me buying an amp with tone controls.

A

Anonymous

massari:

I am going to listen to the 684's again at Mooregate in Shefield, along wth the 685's, also going to try Dynaudio Dm 2/7's. Along with the Naim Audio Nait 5i-2 amp, and Rega Apollo CD.

Yes, maybe the neutral uncoloured sound, might not be my choice of sound, so it will be interesting to listen to other set ups, at different places and see what happens. Who knows, it maybe a case of me buying an amp with tone controls.

Nothing wrong with tone controls, as long as they're gooduns. As regards trying other dem facilities, why do you think I offer a 30 day money back guarantee??. Dealer's dem facilities are not normally the greatest in the world and BOUND to be poles apart from your own room.

May I make a suggestion?. Naim Nait 5, Naim CD5i, speaker cables to suit and dem this lot with the speakers of your choice in your room because that's where you're gonna be using this stuff. I'm not gonna try and sell you EB1's or 2's. That's not the way I work but if you want to gie me a ring, the number is on the website. As regards Moorgate Acoustics and Leicester HiFi, good dealers, been around a long time and good dem facilities. If you go to L HiFi, Ian or Jim will be sure to accomodate you. If you get stuck, call me.

A

Anonymous

Well folks I have finaly made a purchase, even though I did not get to listen to everything that people suggested. So firstly I would like to say a big thanks to everyone who passed on advice and suggestions.

So what did I buy????

I got the Cambridge Audio 650 amp and CD deck, I listened to these at Richer Sounds in Sheffield, with the Mezzo 2 speakers, and whilst good I did think there was something lacking. So I tried them with the Kef IQ5SE speakers, a bit better but still something missing. They had not got the Mezzo 6 speakers, so yesterday I rang Notts R, Sounds, they had not got them. Rang Leicester and they had got them and they even gave me a demo of them.

Well for me personaly, the sound is just awesome. Exactly what I was looking for, very detailed, very clear, good bass and a clear top end. Just a fantastic sound and not overpowering in the room.

To say that I am more than pleased is an understatement, I have heard things I had not heard before. I am like a kid at the moment.

So once again a big thanks.

I will need your help again, as for suggestions on what to go for with my next purchase, a turntable. So would a Pro-ject Genie 3, be good enough, or would I notice a big difference going for a Rega P3, but that would be as much as I would pay.

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
So I guess you do like a more colored and unneutral sound. More of a cartoonish version of the original. Well, to each his own I guess. If that type of thing makes you happy than go for it...

Just kidding. Congrats on a very nice system. Pretty clean sound I'd imagine. Enjoy!
emotion-2.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts