Valve Preamp choice - Audio Research LS 26 or Pathos Acoustics In Control ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Recently I replaced my Martin Logan Mosaic loudspeakers with Martin Logan Purity which are fully active. Now I would like to buy nice preamp. Help me with my choice.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Nice speakers! I have heard the Aries i recently and was shock with how the pair can disappeared so convincingly.

Good luck with the preamp hunt, why not try some Kondo?

A

Anonymous

Kondo is nice but, we don't have Kondo dealer. ML Purity sounds much better than ML Aerius i and have own hi resolution amp so they don't need big amp like Aerius. I adore them. Thanks Thaiman :)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Cyberbob"]ML Purity sounds much better than ML Aerius i[/quote]

How would you compare the bass preformance to speakers with more conventional drivers in the same price range?

A

Anonymous

Martin Logan speakers are hybrid speakers and that means: conventional bass driver and electrostatic panel (top end & midrange). Of course, you know that already. Like all ML floorstanders they need lot of space behind them. If you have enough space for them, bass performance would be great but not ideal. If you don't have space, bass performance would be boomy and that would spoil gorgeous top end and midrange. In the same price range I listened to Sonus Faber Grand Piano (old and new version), Sonus Faber Cremona Auditor (older version, but standmounters), Vandersteen 2 CE signature II, Vandersteen 3A, Opera Caruso (older version)...etc. For my ears Sonus Faber's bass is taut, Opera's bass is sweet and relaxed but powerful when you need it. ML's bass is powerful, dynamic, precise, articulate. Hard to tell my friend...All I know is that ML's electrostatic panels are INTOXICATING !!!

Loudspeaker that is gorgeous in every aspect would be Kharma Ceramique but they cost a lot of money.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Cheers for that and yes, Kharma Ceramique is very expensive and almost impossible to find them 2nd hand.....may be one day

Which wadia cdp are you using? 581i?

A

Anonymous

Cheers Thaiman! I don't use Wadia CDP, just dreams my friend, maybe one day, who knows. I use Unison Research Unico CD. After preamp upgrading I will go for Wadia or even dCS :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts