valve amps

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
hi evryone ive been thinking getting a valve amp for around the 1000 to 1500 pound budget or mayby a bit more if needed . I have a cambrige 651 amp and 351c and aero 2 on good stands sand filled in a basement celler room and is a very good sound but whould a valve amp improve the sound to add that final touch interested in hearing your faults as ive never heard a valve amp high class amp mally *good*

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I really like what such an amplifier brings to a system, but they are not cheap.

If you are buying from a dealer in the uk your budget is very tight, a new Stereo 40 from Icon Audio will set you back £1500 minimum, most versions are more expensive.

As always, speaker matching is pivotal with valves, if you are serious, get a day off and visit Icon in Leicester, take your speakers with you and compare to their suggested models. Enjoy yourself but try not to get too carried away, it can really dent your bank account.

davedotco said:
I really like what such an amplifier brings to a system, but they are not cheap.

If you are buying from a dealer in the uk your budget is very tight, a new Stereo 40 from Icon Audio will set you back £1500 minimum, most versions are more expensive.

As always, speaker matching is pivotal with valves, if you are serious, get a day off and visit Icon in Leicester, take your speakers with you and compare to their suggested models. Enjoy yourself but try not to get too carried away, it can really dent your bank account.

Sensible advice. Like vinyl replay valve amps are best not attempted on the cheap. Not saying your budget is cheap but it's entry level on good valve amps.

I would urge caution when it comes to buying without audition particularly when it comes to amps coming out of China unless you can find a local dealer.

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
good advice thanks i would go to 2000 pounds mainly because my systems good sounding and dont want to waste thousands on improving that sound but 2000 if it makes it better whouls satisfy me if that makes sence to you *good* mally and i whould prefer brirish or usa amps

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
trevorok, changing your speakers away from ultra budget models like the Aero 2 will make more impovement to the overall sound of your system than swapping to a valve amplifier.

Different valve amps sound different.

The difference between a world class valve amp and an ok'ish to a world class solid state isn't as big as the differences you'll find amongst speakers with different design philosophies.

You don't need to spend more than £1500 to buy a world class valve amp. It all depends what sort of world class valve amp you're looking for.

DIY is cheaper than ready built.

2nd hand is cheaper than new.

Low powered world class SET's (like 2 watts) are cheaper to make than higher powered world class SET's (16 watts).

Buying direct from manufacturer (that sells direct only) is generally cheaper than buying via a dealer.

I've not come across a push pull valve amp that I'd describe as world class. They've all been a compromise between the midrange realism of a SET and the bass grip of a good solid state.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
I've not come across a push pull valve amp that I'd describe as world class. They've all been a compromise between the midrange realism of a SET and the bass grip of a good solid state.

That, in some ways is also their strength.

Rather than excelling in just one area, a good PP valve amplifier spreads its talents more widely.

Puresounds A30 is available for 1500 quid. Not cheap but it has good reviews and may not be a shock to the system (not literally) coming from SS whilst giving the things valves do well, especially dynamics.

No Remote though which these days really is an oversight, valves or not.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Icon Audio is a great start. Or you might want to consider a second hand Unison Research. I have had several Unison Research Amps and never had a problem with them. They are beautifully built with excellent quality components. My current S8 had an RRP of £5,500 when new, but I got a mint second-hand example for £2,200 a few years back. I use it almost every day and I doubt I will ever part with it.

The S8 gives 24 glorious watts of SET magic, more than enough to drive my Sonus Fabers or Focals to party levels.

Sure, my Devialet is more neutral, transparent, does bass better and goes much louder, but it's the S8 that can really move me.

(There's a mint Unison Research Preludio on FleaBay right now for £1250. - I used to have one of these too. Great little Amp. 14 watts SET. Doesn't sound much, but drove Sonus Fabers very well).

trevorok said:
hi evryone ive been thinking getting a valve amp for around the 1000 to 1500 pound budget or mayby a bit more if needed . I have a cambrige 651 amp and 351c and aero 2 on good stands sand filled in a basement celler room and is a very good sound but whould a valve amp improve the sound to add that final touch interested in hearing your faults as w ive never heard a valve amp high class amp mally *good*

Are you in the UK ?

I'd seriously look at speaker upgrade before looking at valve amp.

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
i begging to agree that its better to upgrade the speakers i like the sound of the 651a and 351cand was thinking of a warmer type base and sounding standmounter mally *good*

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I'm shocked you'd consider spending up to £2k on an amp for £250 speakers, if you've got plans to upgrade the speakers fine but you're better off thinking of the speakers and amp as one.

Icon Audio is a great shout to introduce yourself to valves, great company.

May I recommend you consider a vavle pre-amp with solid state power. The pre will inject that magic people love but with the controlof SS power, to get large power from a valve amp is an expensive game. I ran a Croft 25 with Quad 909, worked really, really well for me.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Sure you could spend some money on better speakers, and no doubt, your setup will sound better.

But, it will just be a better version of what you have now, if that is what you want, go for it.

There are a few things that you can do in hi-fi that are complete game changers, active speakers, planar speaker, vinyl platback and in this case valve amplifiers. It depends on what you want and where you want to go.

Personally, if I wanted a hi-fi 'experience' and was spending £2-4k, the last thing I would buy is a conventional source > amp > speaker combination from any of the 'usual suspects', I just would not do it.

Partly of course it is a case of 'been there, done that' but it is also a desire for a setup that, in a number of ways is simply more 'involving'. Involving in that time needs to be spent on the choice, the setup, involving in the sense that playing music becomes an event and, above all, involving in the sense of getting closer yo the music.

I don't really do this myself anymore, but when I did, this was the period and the method by which I got the most out of recorded music, it wasn't forever, but for a while it was bl**dy good.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I agree with other people here that you should spend some more money on some speakers 1st!

After that, a Cayin A55T (i had one), or Prima Luna, or 2nd hand Unison Research could do the job!

Valve-amps give a totally different sound. You can have a listen to one before you do any big changes in your system. It might just not be your thing. If you like it, go for the total valve option!

Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts