sweeter and warmer sound

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
hi everyone i have now decided thanks to everyone who answered my last post on valve amps to change my cambridge aero 2s to try and get a better sweeter warmer sound i have a 651a and 351c and good sand filled stands i know this can be done as my other system of a 351a and 540c and mordaunt short 5.3 on stands have a lovely sound the system i want to change the aeros for is in a medium size celler room for 500 up to 750 what speakers whould you surgest many thanks mally *good*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Every review I read about the aero said it is a well balanced speaker without many of the pitfalls conventional dome/cone combinations can pose. It was even criticised for being to civil once or twice if I remember correctly.

Whilst there are limits of what a cheapish speaker can do I'd personally would point my finger at your CA stuff.

I'd change that first for more capable hifi with a long term view to change speakers in the future.

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
no size and looks do not matter and as i said before my other cambridge stuff has a good sound through mordaunt short 5.3 thank you

drummerman said:
Every review I read about the aero said it is a well balanced speaker without many of the pitfalls conventional dome/cone combinations can pose. It was even criticised for being to civil once or twice if I remember correctly.

Whilst there are limits of what a cheapish speaker can do I'd personally would point my finger at your CA stuff.

I'd change that first for more capable hifi with a long term view to change speakers in the future.

An interesting point as I too find the Aero 2 to be smooth and 'civil' . Perhaps this just demonstrates that everyone has slightly different hearing and opinions as to what constitutes warm etc. Perhaps speaker positioning and room dynamics are entering the equation here.

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
thanks well the room is only 3.5 by 3.5 and a celler room if that helps my other living room is twice as big but not so sound proofed as below i can play it more louder if i like and not ditturbe anyone bot normally i only play at the 9 oclock volume thanks for the reply *good*

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Seing as looks and size are not an issue, I'd like to refer you to someone that knows what they're talking about when it comes to speakers. Tom Brennan.

You can find some of his wisdom here:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/search.mpl?searchtext=&b=AND&topic=&topics_only=N&author=tom+brennan&date1=&date2=&slowmessage=&sort=score&sortOrder=DESC&forum=hug

Here's three of his posts I've picked out:

Tom Brennan said:
Do you mean monitors in horn enthusiast terms; the often very large and very high efficiency speakers used in studios and in the homes of many hornys? Or in audiophile terms meaning shoebox sized speakers usually with a small cone and dome?

If you want large monitors I'd suggest a big Altec, EV or JBL with 15" or dual 12" woofers; Altec 19 or 9844, JBL 4430 and so on. Or EV Sentry[/b] IIIs. And others of that ilk such as big Tannoys, Altec 604-605, Ureis and such.

If you want a small monitor save yourself some dough and instead of putzing around with audiophile speakers go to Guitar Center and get some KRKs that IMO&E sound just as good at a fraction of the price. But note that small monitors with decent bass won't be high-E; The KRKs are not but they'll do OK in small room with low powered amp.

Tom Brennan said:
"Are horns the best choice among other types like planar or monitor?"

Well you could get horn monitors, you know, Altec 9844s or 604s, JBL 4430s, Urei[/b] 813s---something like that.

Naturally being a denizen of this forum I'm gonna tell you to get horns. Some planars have excellent clarity but they usually lack dynamics, the only planar I heard that I thought could match a good horn in liveliness was the old Apogee Stage, oh yeah, and Kurt Chang's B&G planars but Kurt's planars are helped mightily by the 8 18" woofers he uses with them.

Tom Brennan said:
I'd say one of the Altec[/b] 2-ways with a 15" in a vented box and a horn top end. Like the Model 17 or 19[/b], Valencia, Flamenco, Iconic. Check the old Altec[/b] catalogs at www.audioheritage.org

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
thank you all ears yes it was the room dynamics so i have brought the aeros in another 6 inches from the rear wall and another foot in from the side wall which is now double the length to the rear wall and pointes them straight down the room so no toe in and yes the sound is warm nuetral and these are very good speakers now very pleased many thanks *good* mally

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
thank you all ears yes it was the room dynamics so i have brought the aeros in another 6 inches from the rear wall and another foot in from the side wall which is now double the length to the rear wall and pointes them straight down the room so no toe in and yes the sound is warm nuetral and these are very good speakers now very pleased many thanks *good* mally

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Success!

Thanks to one of the stalwarts of this site another forum user is experiencing unbridled happiness.

I nominate Alears as one of the contestants for the soon to be launched HifiSaints Awards.

Prices will be supplied by WhatHifi.

drummerman said:
Success!

Thanks to one of the stalwarts of this site another forum user is experiencing unbridled happiness.

I nominate Alears as one of the contestants for the soon to be launched HifiSaints Awards.

Prices will be supplied by WhatHifi.

Shouldn't that be prizes?? (Ed.)

I thank you, hard job getting my hat on with this ruddy halo....... ;-)

trevorok said:

So glad to hear we all managed to solve a problem so cheaply. Happy days.

Now I'm off to the cable threads........ ;-)

trevorok

Dec 31, 2015
Visit site
yes the price of a tape measure is much less than 1500 to 2000 thats a big saving in my eyes and ears and pocket ta very much *yahoo* mally

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts