Valve amps-Help!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am running a pair of Proac D15 powered by a Roksan Kandy K2 and a Arcam cd192. Having read What Hi-Fi's review praising the new musical fidelity VDAC, I went for it as it allegedly offered the sonic characteristics I cherish.I listen mainly to classical (chamber music) and as of lately Jazz. The change was not subtle- a much smoother, sweeter sound, with greater sense of sonic transparency and soundstage. It sees to have totally offset the 'forwardness' from the cd192, replaced it with a 'granier', credible presentation (meatier too).

I am now thinking that I might benefit from a nice valve amp (Icon audio has got some very nice ones around £1000)- my question is: given that i listen to 'quiet' music, would i not be better off with one of those valve amps than with my K2? This Roksan really is superb, but I wonder if the proac and recent DAC upgrade merit a valve upgrade, and i assume the sound will become much more 'liquid' and refined and medium volumes. I understand valve amps lose Stars (eaper ones) because they lose their composure once the volume is up. But otherwise, the sound is sweet and never harsh. Harshness however is something non-valve amps struggle to overcome. Well informed views welcome. I can affor around £1000 but no more.

A

Anonymous

In my experience a key difference of the valve sound has been the 3D soundstage and sheer naturalness of the human voice. From what I've read, the sound you get from a valve amp will depend greatly on the speakers it drives; it seems that this point applies more so than for transistor amps.

Check out the Pure Sound A30. I think the 30W of power you get will be enough for the 88dB Proacs.

Hang on to the Arcam for now though, just in case it proves to make a more balanced system when a valve amp is introduced!

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
A poor quality valve amplifier can thoroughly ruin music, a good one quite the opposite. Having heard many valve amps I can only recommend two things; 1) You MUST listen before you buy, and 2) Do not be seduced by the so-called 'valve sound' as most of those amps are truly awful when it comes to actually playing music. The right valve amplification can make you fall in love with music all over again, but on a much deeper level, the wrong one may sound 'nice' (to some) but will have zero musical value. Choose wisely.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Bismarckian:

I am running a pair of Proac D15 powered by a Roksan Kandy K2 and a Arcam cd192. Having read What Hi-Fi's review praising the new musical fidelity VDAC, I went for it as it allegedly offered the sonic characteristics I cherish.I listen mainly to classical (chamber music) and as of lately Jazz. The change was not subtle- a much smoother, sweeter sound, with greater sense of sonic transparency and soundstage. It sees to have totally offset the 'forwardness' from the cd192, replaced it with a 'granier', credible presentation (meatier too).

I am now thinking that I might benefit from a nice valve amp (Icon audio has got some very nice ones around £1000)- my question is: given that i listen to 'quiet' music, would i not be better off with one of those valve amps than with my K2? This Roksan really is superb, but I wonder if the proac and recent DAC upgrade merit a valve upgrade, and i assume the sound will become much more 'liquid' and refined and medium volumes. I understand valve amps lose Stars (eaper ones) because they lose their composure once the volume is up. But otherwise, the sound is sweet and never harsh. Harshness however is something non-valve amps struggle to overcome. Well informed views welcome. I can affor around £1000 but no more.

sell the cdp and dac and buy this http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/index.php?product_id=2055523&option=Prod_detail&image_id=637130 - you will not regret it - i have the v8cdp and dac which is very similar but in two boxes - the valve buffer in the cdp player gives music a real warmth and great natural character

A

Anonymous

I have read quite a few good reviews on the melody sp-3 and sp-9 worth googling if you get a chance!

A

Anonymous

I had 3 amps last year......marantz PM11S1........Leema Tucana.......Plinius 9200. I now have a Graaf GM50 valve and can't see myself ever changing. The soundstage, imaging, depth......everything sounds better to my ears

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:
ÿsell the cdp and dac and buy this http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/index.php?product_id=2055523&option=Prod_detail&image_id=637130ÿ- you will not regret it - i have the v8cdp and dac which is very similar but in two boxesÿ- the valve buffer in the cdp player gives music a real warmth and great natural character

Umm.. it's the improvement in the source that has shown up the inadequacies of the amp, unless I'm mistaken, so why sell it, especially since it's an MF dac which has the house sound?

Better to look at the amp, as the OP has suggested. Well worth having a listen to MF amps, though, that said.ÿ

ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
Tarquinh:matengawhat:

sell the cdp and dac and buy this http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/index.php?product_id=2055523&option=Prod_detail&image_id=637130 - you will not regret it - i have the v8cdp and dac which is very similar but in two boxes - the valve buffer in the cdp player gives music a real warmth and great natural character

Umm.. it's the improvement in the source that has shown up the inadequacies of the amp, unless I'm mistaken, so why sell it, especially since it's an MF dac which has the house sound?

Better to look at the amp, as the OP has suggested. Well worth having a listen to MF amps, though, that said.

Disagree - he hasn't said the source has shown up his amp he says he likes the sound of the dac and wants more of it - the vdac is nothing compared to the CDP I've suggested that has a full valve buffer in it - trust me the two are like night and day in comparison to solid state - the K2 amp must be a recent upgrade and an extremely capable amp in terms of sound and power and looking at his set up I would say cdp and dac are the weakest components.

That CDP will give him more of what he is looking for and if he sells his CDP and DAC he will get a good price for them.

Was just an alternative suggestion to explore

A

Anonymous

well, nevitable i guess.....it's 5 months old and still in warranty so i won't give it away!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts