Yamaha A-S301 appreciation thread

TK311

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
Hi all!

I just picked up a Yamaha A-S301 after reading a few reviews on a good budget amplifier and I have to say it's beaten my expectations by a mile. I don't have trained audiophile ears by any stretch of the imagination but I can't help but feel like the highs and mids sparkle and its overall livelier than the older, but possibly more high end(?) Denon AVR-3808 receiver its replaced.

The Denon was just a hand-me-down of sorts that I happened to get from a family member, so it wasnt an educated purchase in any way. The subwoofer output died so I was looking for a replacement.

On a bit of a learning curve at the moment but was just wondering, like a car in a way, do amps sort of "age" and lose some sonic capabilities? Or is the S301 just newer and the amp system just be better/on-par with the 3808?

Reactions: Gray

Gray

do amps sort of "age" and lose some sonic capabilities? Or is the S301 just newer and the amp system just be better/on-par with the 3808?
Mostly the latter more than the former.
My last amp sounded as good as day 1 for 20 years.

That Yamaha looks nice - seems you just prefer its sound over the Denon (its only when you listen to a few that you hear some significant differences in amp sound).

The source selection switch and volume control on the Yamaha might one day suffer from a bit of contamination - but nothing that can't be cured with some contact cleaning spray.

Should be years (likely decades) before that's required though.

Enjoy it (y)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts