Using Surge Protectors and UPS on hi-fi

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Good Morning fellow Hi-fiers,

this one goes out to all you tweakers. To help my hifi perform optimally, I have purchased a Belkin Surge Protector and a UPS. It is my understanding that plugging in my amplifier to my UPS will help it gain more dynamic range while a surge protector will help it from unforseen power surges. So I have my plugged my amplifier into my UPS and the UPS into my surge protector. Although I haven't been able to test out the difference at my usual listening level, I feel the dynamics of my system have been squashed somewhat. I do not hear soft to loud as much as I used to, then again I have been listening at lower volumes than usual. I feel this might be caused by the fact that I have used a surge protector, I should be plugging my ups directly to the mains and then connect my amp to the ups. Any thoughts? Any recommendations?

shafesk

Sep 18, 2010
Visit site
Surge protections is a feature that is not available on low end ups devices. Basically the ups kicks in when there is a power shortage or power out. On the other hand a surge protector will handle power spikes so that it doesnt damage electrical devices connected to it.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
The best value option I have found is this 1.5 kW mains regenerator UPS with optional battery packs , and it can be used on it's own as a mains regenerator plus there is no need to add a surge protector when using this unit , and it is very quiet in use .

http://upsmart.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1733

It should give you perfect mains quality and steady voltage 24 hours a day , and a UPS function if you buy the optional battery pack or packs :) .

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
shafesk said:
Than you for the recommendation, I'm afraid I'm not willing to spend more on a ups till a see a gain here :shame:

I guess it is down to how good your mains electrical supply is , if you live in an area where you have a very stable voltage and little interference from other users then a UPS and regenerator will probably make little or no improvement . But if you live in an area that has a widely fluctuating voltage and a lot of interference then it will cure any and all problems that you might have .

Another point to think about is with some amplifiers a 10% change in line voltage will give approximately a 20% change in output power :exmark: :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts