Using CD Ripping Services

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Thanks for the offer but someone just offered to do it cheaper. Competitive market and all that. Cheers anyway. 

You tease
Maybe it was for the best though as I may have headed over to Mexico with all your discs

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Andrewjvt said:
QuestForThe13thNote said:
Thanks for the offer but someone just offered to do it cheaper. Competitive market and all that. Cheers anyway.

You tease Maybe it was for the best though as I may have headed over to Mexico with all your discs

maybe it's not a bad idea to take the CDs in exchange for ripping as a business idea, if CDs no longer needed by the customer.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
DougK said:
Gray said:
davidf said:
I'm not sure anyone would get out of bed to rip a disc for 20p. It took me around 3 weeks to rip around 500/600 discs (non stop evenings/weekends), and that was before double checking the artwork/tracklistings etc, as not all discs just rip perfectly with all relevant metadata. £1 per disc might sound expensive, but you're paying for time, overheads etc.

There's something strangely satisfying about ripping your whole collection and getting all the metadata and artwork 100%...

Never a truer sentence was written than your last one David.

In terms of the metadata and artwork automatically found (in different places) then none of my discs ripped perfectly. I seeked out the highest resolution artwork and corrected all metadata sequences / spellings for each of 1000+ discs. It took me months.

Before doing it, I saw the price of a ripping service and thought it was expensive. All I can say is that if I was asked now, to rip a similar collection, to the same standard, nobody would pay my price.

Couldn't agree more with both of you, well said.

It would appear that you both suffer from the same level of OCD as myself *biggrin* . Big problem with me is that I get within ripping the last 50 of my collection only to purchase another 20 this year, so now I've got 70 to rip and I have to be in the right mood for it.

+1

I very, very occasionally find an anomaly in my collection, which requires metadata correction. Fixing it is like picking a scab.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Selling CDs not against the law, but the copying of CDs for own personal use on iPods and hard drives technically is, following a change to the 2015/2014 legislation which allowed this. A music industry group undertook a judge led judicial review which appealed the legislation.

But I do think these firms offering this service are doing no other than what individuals can do on iTunes and other ripping software e.g. Db poweramp. As I've understood from some of them, the rights department of the government have no intention to take any action against these firms. It could be a problem with the industry associations doing so, but I suspect they turn a blind eye, as it's small fry to the overall issue of people doing it anyway. Last I heard they were trying to get a tax on the sale of hard drives to make up for the stated £58 million losses and I suspect the motivation to allow some form of change of legislation was to make it easier for this to happen, not to try and legally penalise cd owners, iTunes, and all the computer manufacturers which make cd copying something that is so widespread, any combating of the industry to deal with it would not only be cost prohibitive, but would not be upheld in the courts on balance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts