Using an slp meter

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Peeps

I own an Slp meter to help me refine my home cinema

But when using your slp meters do you point the microphone at each individual speaker and

set to 75db that way or do you point it straight up the air and then set each speaker that way? Just a little confussed as the manual says to point it at the individual speakers yet some say point it straight up into the air.

By pointing it straight up in the air i get very different resaults (by a large amount) than pointing it at the individual speakers

Sorry if this has been posted before and if it has please redirect me to the post

Many thanks in advance

G

michael hoy

gareth Ottywill said:
Hi Peeps

I own an Slp meter to help me refine my home cinema

But when using your slp meters do you point the microphone at each individual speaker and

set to 75db that way or do you point it straight up the air and then set each speaker that way? Just a little confussed as the manual says to point it at the individual speakers yet some say point it straight up into the air.

By pointing it straight up in the air i get very different resaults (by a large amount) than pointing it at the individual speakers

Sorry if this has been posted before and if it has please redirect me to the post

Many thanks in advance

G

Hi Gareth,

The meter should point upwards and left in the same place for the duration of the set up.

Ideally on a tripod and at ear hight.

A

Anonymous

That cool thanks for that i am doing it right then, I just dont know why audyssey/onkyo gets the levels so wrong when setting up with the auto mic

g

A

Anonymous

We may have differing opinions here, so good to hear from other forum members.

I have a SilverlineC SPL and the instructions clearly state to point it directly at the sound source and to stand to one side of it (implying that it is hand held). I agree that the set up mic that comes with the AVR to set up Audyssey should be tripod mounted and pointed upwards as described in the AVR manual.

I used my SPL and pointed it at each speaker and the 75dB reading was pretty close to the Audyssey initial set up.

Maybe it varies between SPL meters?

Paul.

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
michael hoy said:
Hi Gareth,

The meter should point upwards and left in the same place for the duration of the set up.

Ideally on a tripod and at ear hight.

+1 to michael hoys post

Especially as your ears are not facing each speaker individually as they fire off when you are listening to the sound, they generally stay in the same place, as should the mike that is receiving the speaker signal, either the Audessey or the SPL one.

If you hold the SPL meter in your hand surely it can pick up even more noise therefore giving a false reading.

I've always used a tripod with the SPL meter at ear hight works well.

Regards...

A

Anonymous

Thanks F1 and pauled51

That is great feedback!

Pauled the only problem i have with holding it and standing it off to the side is the movement in the hand which can throw off the reading with the movment of the hand but i do agree that when point the SLP at the speakers the auto mic gets pretty close with almost no variants at all. But when holding it upwards there are huge descprences in the levels.

Howevere when you take the readings with the mic pointing up and you do get better separation (light airy feel) between the speakers with SLP in this oriantation. With the SLP pointed towards the speakers you get a more cohesive sound (seems to blend better) but i dont really know which would be right but i guess thats personal tast at the end of the day

But I also I have to admit that i dont currently use the Audyssy system (any of it) as the onkyo 807 implmentation of it is very heavy handed and the bass is so strong, plus audyssy was trying to compensate for a very differcult room and was boosting some of the sub frequences and making it bottom out. That is just my experiance and i completly agree that it is a great system! But a program at the end of the day can only do so much for a room that has bad acoustics.

So thats why this SLP question is the more important for me.

Do you any of you guys prefer Audyssy or any auto system for that matter turned off? ( I think this question may open pandoras box)

A

Anonymous

Oh meant to say for the late replys i didnt get home till late last night

f1only

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Well gareth

I had Audyssey on my last amp (Denon 1910), used it on & off for a while. Audyssey i had on for the original set up & then turned it off after getting the speaker distances input properly on the amp. Sold the amp, partly because my centre speaker sounded really bass heavy on it after about 6 months run in time.

I have since changed my centre as it still seemed a tad too much bass for my liking & upgraded to the Vocal 2.

Personally i will not buy another Denon A/V amp & not because of Audyssey either, just because of the sound, it does not suit my ears, or speakers. I would buy / consider, Marantz, Pioneer & Yamaha A/V amps again, i've not tried the Onkyo's yet. I did have a listen to last years Onkyo & Pioneer A/V's whilst considering my present amp, it wasnt the A/V amp for me at the time.

Regards . . ..

A

Anonymous

Gareth,

I have the Onkyo, albeit a lower model, but I assume has a similar sound quality to yours. After my initial Audyssey set up I did change distances manually for one of the rears, although the dB settings were fairly close other than the subwoofer which I notched up a couple of dBs based on the SPL meter reading. Once done I have kept Audyssey Dynamic EQ on and set the Reference Level to 0dB, and Audyssey Dynamic Volume set to ‘Light’. For me, the Audyssey works well and when I turn it off both me and my better half find the sound lacking in some way and has less impact. Not sure if this is the match of my speakers, but I note that you also have the Monitor Audio so maybe it is down to personal taste?

I am totally delighted with my set up - if interested see my review and photos here:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/new-home-cinema-review

Paul.

A

Anonymous

Hi Guys thanks for taking the time to answer back to my questions and im glad im not the only that turns off audyssey it really dosnt sound all that different to me with it off, just have to make sure sub is in the right place and you get good sofa shake.

Paul you have a very neat set up an i love the look of those new amps mine is very industrial looking! But i think in a year or so i might change the amp as i had a pioneer before this and i took a bit of a punt on this amp and i like the sound and everything but i just loved my pioneer (it died at a grand old age of 10 years and was used pretty much every day) and i just have that unsettled feeling that i can shake.

I wish i could get my wires as neat as yours! mine looks like a jungel!

Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts