Using a squeezebox to connect TV to internet?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a squeezebox 3 which I use to stream music from my PC using WiFi. Presently I do not use the wired ethernet port. I have read recently that the squeezebox 3 has a bridging capability which can link wired and wireless networks.

Now I am thinking of purchasing an internet capable TV in the future. Trouble is, the vast majority offer only a wired ethernet port.

I wondered if it might be possible to connect such a TV using an ethernet lead to my squeezebox, and obtain an internet connection for my TV via the wireless link between my squeezebox and router. This would be a nice solution if possible, due to the location of my hardware - my TV and squeezebox are both in the lounge whilst my router is upstairs. Any advice appreciated.

Binman

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
This should be possible.
I have a Squeezebox Classic, and use the bridge facility. I have an ethernet cable from the SB to my Humax Foxsat Freesat box, which allows me to watch Iplayer.

I dont see why this wouldn't work with a TV.

A couple of points: You will have to re-configure your squeezebox to activate the ethernet bridge (its just a case of selecting YES when asked if you want to use it during the setup process).

Secondly - i purchased the wrong type of ethernet cable first time round - from memory you can get a 'patch' cable and a 'straight' cable - someone with more knowlege may be able to help. I can't remember which was the correct one, but they were only £2 each on ebay.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Binman that's great news. Can I ask were there any negatives once you connected your freesat box? I would not expect to be able to use TV internet and music streaming at the same time, and would not want to, but are there any other issues? In particular does the freesat box get a connection with the squeezebox in standby or do you need to manually "wake up" the squeezebox every time you want to use Iplayer? Thanks

Jammoe

Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
Works fine while in standby. Used to run my PC using the Squeezebox's connection when i lived at my parents' house. Never had an issue at all, worked flawlessly (and i used the internet and the squeezebox at the same time).

And just a regular straight / patch (as opposed to a crossover) cable works fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts