Using a horizontal bookshelf as a centre speaker

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone had tried using a horizontal bookshelf speaker as a centre speaker in a 5.1 setup?

I have a pair of Kef Q35.2 floor standers as front L+R. The matching centre would be a Q95.2c which is a 4 ohm speaker so my amp won't drive it. Because of this I thought I could find a Q15.2 bookshelf to use on its side as a centre. I would guess the uni-Q arrangement (tweeter at the centre of the mid range driver) set up would make this more plausible.

Any thoughts gratefully received.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I have heard of this being done, but only as a last resort by some. Logically a driver is circular and hence symmetrical all around, the sound being produced should therefore be the same whether on its side, flat or upside down. Besides the tweeter is central so no problem....

I guess one counter argument I can think of is the field of dispersion, if its flat the tweeter and surrounding base drivers will be in line and sound will be pushed out to a wider field . If vertical that field is reduced, which may produce undesirable effects.

Give it a try, this is my logical summation.

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok so i took at look at the speaker you mentioned. I do not see it being a problem. Not sure how well it would perform as a center..... :?

mr malarky

Apr 4, 2009
Visit site
Also keep in mind that most centre speakers sit near other electronics, so are magnetically shielded to make sure the magnets don't affect nearby kit. If your placing it away from other kit then not a problem, otherwise something to keep in mind.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
mr malarky said:
Also keep in mind that most centre speakers sit near other electronics, so are magnetically shielded to make sure the magnets don't affect nearby kit. If your placing it away from other kit then not a problem, otherwise something to keep in mind.

This only matters for CRTs (anyone still own one?), tape recorder or possibly a hard drive. Anything else will be fine.

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the help. I've done a bit more research on the topic and it sounds like it should work. The general consensus seems to be that 3 identical speakers is the best option for the front 3 all placed vertically i.e. 3 floor standers. The matching bookshelf from the same range hopefully will be fairly similar as I think it's pretty much identical to my floor standers apart from the cabinet size. Another benefit of these speakers is that with the uni-Q driver array they should give a wide sound field in all directions. Most speakers tend to have a wide horizontal dispersion but narrow vertical. This would give a narrow sweet spot when laid on their side.

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
GSB said:
I seem to remember that David from hifix is using 5 LS50's.

I believe he is changing now in favour of the new Ken Kreisel range, although he was using the LS50s and was apparently really pleased with them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts