admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
What are peoples opinions on buying a 2nd hand TT.

Looking at a 1210Mk5 but thought it may be better to buy new - if i can

Do i need to factor in getting it proffesionally serviced?

Matt

dx052

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Well there are lots available on the used market. My first set lasted 25 years without any worked needed on it and when I sold them they were still working okay. If I was to buy one again now I would be asking the age, style of music being played on them and was it used on the road, the last thing I would want is a battle deck! I have noticed that the prices for new product as opposed to used has gone up, There are deals to be had.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
My own experience was...

I bought a recon Debut 2 SB from E-Bay. After a while I had to send it to have a new phono amp board put in. Then the wires in the arm gave up - so I had only one channel working. Not being a practical bloke I let a pal have it who was able to take it to bits and repair it himself. Well he was kind and gave me a good price for it!

Next I bought a Debut 3 USB in a sale at Richer Sounds - have since added an acrylic platter (like the Esprite) and upgraded the stylus. I'm very happy with it.

So for me it's worth getting new with a warranty. Then tarting up as you get more funds.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I bought a 2nd hand 1210 MK2 from a "bedroom DJ". Apart from assigning the carts he had given me (an Ortofon OM with Nightclub stylus and a Stanton Concorde thingy) for old 45s only, the deck has given perfect service.

I would say that the 1210s are a lot more resilient than other manufacturer's TTs as they are built like tanks.

However, the comment about avoiding ex-competition TTs is well worth heeding. If the platter stays level when it goes around and it has a lid all in good condition, you should be fine.

A

Anonymous

I have also bought a used 1210mk5 from ebay. You will not be disappointed, you may have to change the cartridge for a more Hifi type cart but but these decks are built to last. Even if you do get a problem there are lots of forums and numerous parts suppliers to get it up and running again. I run mine with a Denon DL110 cartridge and it puts my CD player to shame. Go for it.

TRENDING THREADS