Usb dac for linux system

greigm17

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hello all you good good people!

I have a question regarding the cambridge audio dacmagic xs. I would like to know if there is any tricky procedure to use this on a laptop running lubuntu and if so, if someone could run me through it?

Another quick question, what with my greed for knowledge and all, if I have most of my music stored on an external hard drive plugged into the laptop via usb, will there be any difference to quality than playing tracks stored on the main system hard drive. I acquired an older laptop with a smallish hard drive not big enough for all my uncompressed files you see!

abacus

It depends on whether Linux drivers are available for the DAC you mention, type the model into one of the many Linux forums to check.

Convert your files to FLAC files as this is a compressed format that is completely lossless, (Like a Zip file it retains every single bit on information) and is supported by VLC. (The most common player for Linux)

Digital is digital, and unless the drive is faulty (Causing drop outs) then the quality will be determined solely by the DAC used.

Hope this helps

Bill

namefail

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
abacus said:
Digital is digital, and unless the drive is faulty (Causing drop outs) then the quality will be determined solely by the DAC used.

Hope this helps

Bill

That very point is being mulled over here http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/anyone-have-any-experience-with-black-ravioli-isolation if you fancy chuckin' yer tuppence in. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts