Question USB DAC fixed volume (Rega vs. Topping)

petergabriel

Oct 30, 2019
www.petergabriel.dk
While running some tests with my Rega DAC (1. gen) and a Topping D10s, I noticed that while running the source directly to the Rega DAC's USB input the volume was fixed (which I prefer), but when running through the D10s to get Coaxial SPDIF out in 24/192, which the Rega does not support via USB, I could suddenly control the volume digitally via my source.

Why this difference? Is it simply because the Rega DAC's USB input is old (does not support volume control)?

And for Topping D10s owners, is it possible to set a fixed volume?

As for source, I am using an iPad's digital out via the camera adapter, which supports 24/192 when I play through Apple Music, so I need the Topping bridge to take full advantage of the hires music, but guess I could live with 24/48 just to keep the fixed volume.

petergabriel

Oct 30, 2019
www.petergabriel.dk
Yes, but I have kids who mainly use the volume control on the device, so if volume is low on the device from last session they cram up my amp instead, would rather they just got used to only using volume on amp 😊

Gray

I know nothing about Apple, but the OS system I use (Volumio) gives a choice.
In the setup menu I can choose from 'software', 'hardware' where the DAC supports it (one of my DACs doesn't) or 'none' where the output is fixed at maximum.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts