USB and SPDIF to digital AES output converter?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Electro said:
Gazzip said:
Electro said:
Gazzip said:
Electro said:
Have you bought a pair of these beauties .

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/ib2s

Or maybe even these ! *man_in_love*

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/professional/active/ib2s-xbd

It's the latter subject to the deal stacking up. Will find out tomorrow...

I have my fingers crossed for you *smile*

A pair those Active ib2s - xbd's would be on my shopping list if I ever felt the need to upgrade.

Deal fell through, which is a bit of a pisser. However, every cloud has a silver lining...

I have a little project gaining momentum which involves me activating a pair of PMC MB2SE's! Or causing irreparable damage to a pair of MB2SE's. We shall see which way it goes...

That sounds very interesting indeed, will you be using Bryston amps and crossovers or something more bespoke .

The thought of a pair of MBSSE's going up in smoke sends shivers down my spine .*shok*

All Bryston is my proposed route. I am selling most of my system to fund this. I will be left with the MB2SE's (collecting tommoz), a pair of Bryston 7B3's (ordered), my Innuos Zen server/streamer and my PS Audio DAC. The other required pair of Bryston 3B3's and the active x-overs are gonna have to wait until I have sold my kdneys...

This is one thread holding the interest of hifi together on this forum imo.
I cant wait until you do a review.

Do those speakers not have a passive crossover inbuilt?

Just want to know if they can work passive for now and you will convert them to active later. More info please.

Also why did you not just go for a straight active pair from the get go?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Electro said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
All Bryston is my proposed route. I am selling most of my system to fund this. I will be left with the MB2SE's (collecting tommoz), a pair of Bryston 7B3's (ordered), my Innuos Zen server/streamer and my PS Audio DAC. The other required pair of Bryston 3B3's and the active x-overs are gonna have to wait until I have sold my kdneys...

This is one thread holding the interest of hifi together on this forum imo. I cant wait until you do a review.

Just want to know if they can work passive for now and you will convert them to active later. More info please.

Forgive me for answering for gazzip, I may be wrong *smile* .

He is buying a pair of passive MB2SE's for the moment .

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series/mb2-se

Then at a later date removing the passive crossovers and adding external Bryston Active crossovers and the extra Bryston amps to convert them to MB2SE- A's like the ones in the link below.

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series/mb2-se-active

I guess this is to spread the not inconsiderable cost over a period of time but end up with what can only be described as one of the best speaker systems available .

Thanks electro

Do yoy think there is a chance he may like the passive and not bother with the active?

Has anyone compared both?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
All Bryston is my proposed route. I am selling most of my system to fund this. I will be left with the MB2SE's (collecting tommoz), a pair of Bryston 7B3's (ordered), my Innuos Zen server/streamer and my PS Audio DAC. The other required pair of Bryston 3B3's and the active x-overs are gonna have to wait until I have sold my kdneys...

This is one thread holding the interest of hifi together on this forum imo. I cant wait until you do a review.

http://bryston.com/products/other/10B-STD.html

and the extra Bryston amps to convert them to MB2SE- A's like the ones in the link below.

I guess this is to spread the not inconsiderable cost over a period of time but end up with what can only be described as one of the best speaker systems available .

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The only issue for Gazzip going this route is all budget is blown on just the speakers - however loading his room with bass from subwoofers actually makes a lot of sense when you look at the bass model of his room.

The previous purchase option of the sat / sub setup if you can call it that gave him a lot more flex with setting things up like that and made a lot of sense.

They IB2 XDA they show you the 2 units stacked but I am sure you could seperate them and put the bass modules in the best spot for bass and top module in the best spot for soundstage and imaging - that should equal a far better overall performance because a speaker bass freq will always be limited by its room placement regardless of what it can do on paper.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Electro said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
All Bryston is my proposed route. I am selling most of my system to fund this. I will be left with the MB2SE's (collecting tommoz), a pair of Bryston 7B3's (ordered), my Innuos Zen server/streamer and my PS Audio DAC. The other required pair of Bryston 3B3's and the active x-overs are gonna have to wait until I have sold my kdneys...

https://pmc-speakers.com/products/consumer/se-series/mb2-se

Then at a later date removing the passive crossovers and adding external Bryston Active crossovers and the extra Bryston amps to convert them to MB2SE- A's like the ones in the link below.

Thanks electro

Do yoy think there is a chance he may like the passive and not bother with the active?

Has anyone compared both?

I couldn't have put it better myself electro!

I have owned a pair of passive MB2SE's previously, and yes they are a very good speaker in their own right. The science of actives does however make complete sense so (when funds permit) I will be giving that a try.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
The only issue for Gazzip going this route is all budget is blown on just the speakers - however loading his room with bass from subwoofers actually makes a lot of sense when you look at the bass model of his room.

The previous purchase option of the sat / sub setup if you can call it that gave him a lot more flex with setting things up like that and made a lot of sense.

They IB2 XDA they show you the 2 units stacked but I am sure you could seperate them and put the bass modules in the best spot for bass and top module in the best spot for soundstage and imaging - that should equal a far better overall performance because a speaker bass freq will always be limited by its room placement regardless of what it can do on paper.

Point taken and I couldn't agree more re. the overall flexibility of the IB2SE-A XBD. However I couldn't make a PX deal stand up and I simply don't have £35K to drop on a pair of speakers. The MB2SE's passives on the other hand were half price (second hand and mint), the bulk of which will be covered by the sale of my Fact 12's, so going down this route was a no brainier given that my Plan A fell through...

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You can add any subwoofers to the mix I thought 15grand for a pair of 10 inch subwoofers was extreme in cost.

A couple jlaudio f112 or 3 at half that and I doubt you will lose anything probably gain in fact.

However I figured the pmc actives would have all the dsp built in to make wiring the config up easier but where there is a will there is always a way :)

Keep us posted Gazzip please

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I love a bit of 'lunatic' hi-fi...*wacko*

Of course you could of course turn this project on it's head.

Since you have, I believe, been down the route of big passive PMCs before, perhaps there would be good reason to look at a smaller and more affordable digital active setup.

A pair of Twotwo.6 or Twotwo.8 monitors plus a Twotwo.sub 1 would be a 'different' alternative, £7k or £10k depending on the choice of mains...?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I don't see the desire to buy a pmc sub.

Active speakers is one thing all subs are active so better off buying the best sub for the money.

Big speakers do seem to give a bigger scale of sound so I can see the appeal

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I don't see the desire to buy a pmc sub.

Active speakers is one thing all subs are active so better off buying the best sub for the money.

Big speakers do seem to give a bigger scale of sound so I can see the appeal

The only reason is that it integrates with the PMC main speakers and the advanced bass management system. As a stand alone sub, I agree, it's very pricy.

As for scale, that really only works (for me) in a big space, then I can most definitely see the appeal.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:

Since you have, I believe, been down the route of big passive PMCs before, perhaps there would be good reason to look at a smaller and more affordable digital active setup.

A pair of Twotwo.6 or Twotwo.8 monitors plus a Twotwo.sub 1 would be a 'different' alternative, £7k or £10k depending on the choice of mains...?

Hi Dave, Nice suggestion but trigger pulled, biceps flexed and large PMC's now sitting pretty in my listening room. Sounding pretty too! Given that my wife helped me get them up four flights of stairs whilst simultaneously dealing with a baby and a toddler, do you have any idea how much trouble I would be in if I did what you suggest? Not gonna happen I'm afraid...

They are a MASSIVE step up from the Fact 12's. Makes me feel a prize pillock for having historically parted with a pair of them, and having spannered thousands up against the proverbial wall in the ensuing period...

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:

Hi Dave, Nice suggestion but trigger pulled, biceps flexed and large PMC's now sitting pretty in my listening room. Sounding pretty too! Given that my wife helped me get them up four flights of stairs whilst simultaneously dealing with a baby and a toddler, do you have any idea how much trouble I would be in if I did what you suggest? Not gonna happen I'm afraid...

They are a MASSIVE step up from the Fact 12's. Makes me feel a prize pillock for having historically parted with a pair of them, and having spannered thousands up against the proverbial wall in the ensuing period...

Glad you enjoy them. Im being nosey but up 4 stairs?
What room are they in and size?

Oh yes and you have just confirmed again that there is no substitute for size

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:

Glad you enjoy them. Im being nosey but up 4 stairs? What room are they in and size?

5m x 6m... http://www.pow-architects.com/project-category/homeowner/ ...click on the project called Byrne and scroll through the pics. The pictures are a few years old (I had PMC IB2's at that time) but you will get the idea...

The room is big enough for MB2 but not BB5 as I found out the hard way.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Gazzip said:
Andrewjvt said:
Gazzip said:
davedotco said:

Glad you enjoy them. Im being nosey but up 4 stairs? What room are they in and size?

5m x 6m... http://www.pow-architects.com/project-category/homeowner/ ...click on the project called Byrne and scroll through the pics. The pictures are a few years old (I had PMC IB2's at that time) but you will get the idea...

The room is big enough for MB2 but not BB5 as I found out the hard way.

Lovely looking place. I like the picture with the screen down and the lighting

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:

I did wonder whether the fact 12's would satisfy when you bought them especially the lack of bass depth and weight .

Still all's well that ends well. *smile*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts