Upscaling DVD Recorders

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm thinking of joining the HDTV world but need advice. I have a Sky+ box going via RGB scart into a Panasonic upscaling (1080p) DVD recorder. Current TV is a really old 32" Toshiba CRT which gives an amazing picture either on Freeview or Sky. We sit 9 foot away from the telly.

TV's on the list are Sony KDL40W3000, Toshiba 40XF355DB, Panasonics TH37PX80B or TH42PZ70B. We dont watch much sport but lots of movies and lots of sci fi programmes.

Whilst out browsing I notice that all of the SD Freeview pictures are frankly pants (compared to my old CRT) on the new flat screens (plasma seems marginally better) whilst the HD Blue Ray looks fantastic in 1080p. If I go for one of the above tellies and keep the existing set up, pending Sky coming down in price for the HD box, will the upscaling DVD recorder do a reasonable job of improving the picture via it's HDMI lead? Next question, is the differnce in Sky HD worth shelling out for a new TV and box and at that viewing distance is 720p enough?

Finally, given the above choices, what's the best TV to go for? I know it's all very subjective and I need to chose a telly on the bais of what I think about it, but some help here would be really appreciated.

A

Anonymous

It's the DMR-EZ27 which I'm assuming will upscale the RGB signal from the Sky+ box just as it upscales DVD's to 1080p. I don't know for certain however as I don't have a HD capable TV yet so could be wrong.

A

Anonymous

Looks like back to the drawing board then! I'll re-read the manual to see what it says. Any idea about the televisions?

A

Anonymous

the KDL40W3000 is a nice set, but 100% the TH42PZ70B :) plasma beats LCD in my books :)

Better colours, motion handling and its better ^_^

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Hammersmith"]
We sit 9 foot away from the telly.TV's on the list are Sony KDL40W3000, Toshiba 40XF355DB, Panasonics TH37PX80B or TH42PZ70B. We dont watch much sport but lots of movies and lots of sci fi programmes.

at that viewing distance is 720p enough?

Finally, given the above choices, what's the best TV to go for? I know it's all very subjective and I need to chose a telly on the bais of what I think about it, but some help here would be really appreciated.

[/quote]

To watch movies as the director intended, you have to watch Plasma. For the deep blacks, contrast and true colours and lack of motion blur.

To watch HD content you need to be 1.5 to 2.5 x the diagonal size of the TV to be able to make out the increased detail (unless your vison is better than 20/20), but it's something you have to verify yourselves.

The panasonic 42PZ80 wil be out shortly , 42PZ85 already released.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback.
I checked and the DVD recorder doesn't seem to upscale the sat picture but does run it through to the TV via HDMI (so I wonder?).
I went out and bought the Panasonic 42" PZ85 today and whilst not as good as the CRT it is acceptable and one of the best freeview/sky sd pictures I've seen on a tv of this size. Sky HD is on order for the end of the week.
Again, thanks for the advice.

A

Anonymous

Hi Hammersmith

Can you tell me waht you paid for the PZ85 and where you purchased it, even my local Panasonic shop could not tell me when they will recieve it

Regards

A

Anonymous

No problem,

bought it from PRC (http://www.prcdirect.co.uk/home.php) my local shop in Ilford. They have another branch in Romford. I've used them many times and are one of the cheaqpest around. After a bit of gentle haggling I purchased the telly and had a good quality 1.3 HDMI lead thrown in for £1209. It was the last they had in the shop (Sunday) but that might have been a marketing ploy. It was a slightly better picture then the Sony KDL40W3000, so whilst more expensive was worth the extra. They do mail order and have been around for quite a few years. I recommend them to my friends and have never yet bought anything dud.

Picture on normal Sky +SD is the best I've seen from a flat screen and on my cheap denon upscaler the picture is very good indeed. Sky HD is being installed tomorrow so if anyone is interested I'll let you know what it looks like in HD. PS3 to follow shortly if I can get a good price from somewhere.

A

Anonymous

At 9' away, I would go for minimum 42". (rule of thumb for HD, sit from 1.5 to 2.5 x diagonal screen size away), but it's something you have to try out. So it would be the panasonic.

Even at 9' you may have difficulty making out the finer details of 1080p panels, depending on your eyesight.

Plasma is excellent for movies, with good natural colours, excellent blacks and skin tones, with minimal motion bluring.

Sky HD is much better than normal Sky/Freeview, as long as you want to watch their selection of programs. I expect their price will drop when the HD satellite service starts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts