Upgrading PC Speakers

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Monkey Banana Turbo 4.

New to the UK but very good, heard them a few weeks ago at BPM.

Active speakers, £199 for one, upgrade when you have some more cash and get a second. And there is a matching sub.

HiFi quality through whatever source you want.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
JoelSim said:
Monkey Banana Turbo 4. New to the UK but very good, heard them a few weeks ago at BPM. Active speakers, £199 for one, upgrade when you have some more cash and get a second. And there is a matching sub. HiFi quality through whatever source you want.

Nice product but heavily designed and marketed so rather expensive in performance terms. The onboard dac is a nice touch if you are going to make use of it but it not the rather plain looking Presonus Eris8 is much better for the money.

Pretty though, in the right setup.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
While I think of it, ddc, are you still in the hifi trade or just keping vaguely in touch?

I gave up full time involvement about 10-12 years ago, my hi-fi involvement these days revolves around 'social' affairs where many of my friends are still involved. I rarely get into dealers these days, apart from 'doing the rounds' a year or more ago when I actually thought I would be able to buy a half decent system.

Interestingly I know a couple of guys who work in pro-audio, one at Studiospares and one at a local music shop/home recording store, hence my access to certain kinds of hardware and studio type speakers.

jaccoet

May 21, 2014
Visit site
I am just delving into the world of audio and of all the threads and reviews read so far this has by far been the best read. I do have a limited budget and cant push beyond £150. Primary use will be for PC gaming and music.

I am looking to put this setup together shortly and just had a few additional questions.

Do I require additional cables to connect speakers to the UCA202 and if so what type is recommended. There is also a comment that the volume control is rear mounted? However reviewer says there is a tool to control from the front. Is this correct?

I have also read this thread on recommendation - http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-70/ is it better to get the Lepai Amp rather the than the UCA202.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jaccoet said:
I am just delving into the world of audio and of all the threads and reviews read so far this has by far been the best read. I do have a limited budget and cant push beyond £150. Primary use will be for PC gaming and music.

I am looking to put this setup together shortly and just had a few additional questions.

Do I require additional cables to connect speakers to the UCA202 and if so what type is recommended. There is also a comment that the volume control is rear mounted? However reviewer says there is a tool to control from the front. Is this correct?

I have also read this thread on recommendation - http://www.cnet.com/uk/news/build-your-own-desktop-stereo-for-under-70/ is it better to get the Lepai Amp rather the than the UCA202.

Thanks

Given the budget, the UCA202 is a 'no brainer', it connects to your computer via a captive usb, and has phono sockets out.

The Seiwin speakers mentioned above are pretty obvious solutions at this price too, Studiospares sell the SN4a from one range, ideal for the desktop or the rather prosaic looking but excellent S5a and S6a from another, (All built by Seiwin)

The 5a and 6a are really a bit too big for a desktop, stand mount them and they are outstanding as regular hi-fi and ridiculously cheap.

Depends on your budget and choice of mounting and positioning.

In all cases these speakers have balanced inputs on XLR and three pole quarter inch jacks, easiest connection is regular phono cables of the required length and simple phono to two pole jack adapters, they will unbalance the inputs to suit.

They also have level controls that are rear mounted, you should set up the system with these controls on minimum, play some music with the volume in your software player on maximum. Raise the volume on the speakers to the loudest volume you would normally use and leave them there, use the volume in your software player for normal use.

The cheapest, the SN4a option is around the £150, the most expensive S6a, less than £200. Just buy the best you can afford bearing in mind the mounting requirements mentioned above.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
davedotco said:
jaccoet said:

Thanks

Given the budget, the UCA202 is a 'no brainer', it connects to your computer via a captive usb, and has phono sockets out.

The Seiwin speakers mentioned above are pretty obvious solutions at this price too, Studiospares sell the SN4a from one range, ideal for the desktop or the rather prosaic looking but excellent S5a and S6a from another, (All built by Seiwin)

The 5a and 6a are really a bit too big for a desktop, stand mount them and they are outstanding as regular hi-fi and ridiculously cheap.

Depends on your budget and choice of mounting and positioning.

In all cases these speakers have balanced inputs on XLR and three pole quarter inch jacks, easiest connection is regular phono cables of the required length and simple phono to two pole jack adapters, they will unbalance the inputs to suit.

They also have level controls that are rear mounted, you should set up the system with these controls on minimum, play some music with the volume in your software player on maximum. Raise the volume on the speakers to the loudest volume you would normally use and leave them there, use the volume in your software player for normal use.

The cheapest, the SN4a option is around the £150, the most expensive S6a, less than £200 including dac. Just buy the best you can afford bearing in mind the mounting requirements mentioned above.

jaccoet

May 21, 2014
Visit site
davedotco thanks for the quick reply and continued great advice :grin: . I can manage the mounts separately and will definitely make sure I have them.

Do different mounts make a difference to sound or is this to purely remove directly off the table surface?

I did notice this offer - http://www.studiospares.com/studio-monitors/studiospares-seiwin-sn-4a-pair-+-monitor-pads/invt/248051 - are these mounts worthwhile or should i stick with your original suggestion- and get these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/DS2-Audioengine-Desktop-Speaker-Stands/dp/B005STCILC/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400672095&sr=1-2&keywords=audioengine+stands

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The desktop stands serve a dual purpose, the tilt puts you ears more on axis with the speaker and decouple the bass driver and cabinet from the desktop. The bigger the speaker, the more difficult and important that is.

As I think I said, I use the Audio Engine stands with SN4, They are an excellent desktop setup. The S5a and S6a are bigger, you might get away with the S5a on a desktop if you have the space, again on an Audio Engine stand. For what they cost extra I would rather have them then the simple cut foam of the Studiospares option, nicer looking too.

However the S5a and most definitely the S6a are really at ther best on proper speaker stands, something like this...

http://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk/product/5121/fisual-dynami-satin-black-600mm-speaker-stand-pair-/

If they have to go on a desktop, I would rule out the S6a completely, if I had plenty of desk space go for the S5a or if tight the SN4.

jaccoet

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately it will be on a desk so will take the advice on go with the audioengine stands. The sn4s seem the best fit but do prefer the look of the s5a's.

thanks again for the advice much appreciated.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jaccoet said:
Unfortunately it will be on a desk so will take the advice on go with the audioengine stands. The sn4s seem the best fit but do prefer the look of the s5a's.

thanks again for the advice much appreciated.

Actually the finish on the SN4s is rather nice, only (textured) paint but I prefer it to the vinyl effect black ash on the bigger models.

The Audio Engine stands stands are not common, if you see a pair, grab them.

alienmango

May 29, 2013
Visit site
If you want a lot of bass for cheap get a pair of valdus 500's and the best second hand nad you can with the money left over.

^Only relavant if you listen to dance music/rock etc, they are tuned for high bass not rap/hip hop etc. If you want deep bass a reasonable choice is the wharfedale sw 150, not as good as the bk xls300, but second hand on ebay you can find it for £50-80. Then get the monitors mentioned earlier by davedotco.

I'd avoid the logitech z2300. The sub is suprisingly good but the monitors are horrendous. Far better to go with the active speakers mentioned earlier.

jaccoet

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Purchased all the equipment today - expecting delivery tomorrow and will setup over the weekend. Will let you know how it goes. :)

jaccoet

May 21, 2014
Visit site
Apologies meant to write back sooner. All setup and the sound is great - speakers are a little larger than i had though but working very well.

One issue andmaybe its the setup or proximity to my monitor etc but there is a low buzz on the speakers when no sound is playing. Cant seem to remove it or find the source of the issue. Need to keep volume when not in use.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
jaccoet said:
Apologies meant to write back sooner. All setup and the sound is great - speakers are a little larger than i had though but working very well.

One issue andmaybe its the setup or proximity to my monitor etc but there is a low buzz on the speakers when no sound is playing. Cant seem to remove it or find the source of the issue. Need to keep volume when not in use.

What components did you chose in the end and what cables did you get?

Also, if you remove the signal connections from the speakers, what happens?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts