Upgrading Monitor Audio Apex 9.1 to Atmos 9.1.2 setup

I have invested in a Monitor Audio Apex 5.1 speaker setup with an additional 4 Apex speakers to provide a 9.1 surround setup. This is connected to an Onkyo NR3008 receiver that now needs replacing. However, my question is on the Apex speakers. What .2 Atmos speakers should I look to buy (not sure if the Apex speakers are available anymore)? Would it be better to reconfigure what I have to provide a 5.1.4 setup?

Many thanks

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I wouldnt concern myself too much as they are only effect speakers. Just buy any monitor audio ceiling speakers that your budget can afford and you are good to go.

Are you looking at in-ceiling speakers or on wall? Monitor Audio Trimless 200 series will be a good match.

Contrary to what duaplex says, Atmos speakers are not merely effect speakers. They can be as powerful as front speakers depending on the scene (hence people recommend 5.1.4 over 7.1.2).

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
First:
Make sure you buy a receiver capable of decoding 11 channels if you're going for four overheads. Some can decode 11 channels, but like my Marantz 7010 require an external stereo power amp for the last two channels.
Second:
Decide if your room justifies four overheads. My room is 19 ft long and I'm not sure I can differentiate between my front and back overheads, but maybe that's the point? I don't know, but my point is that unless there's enough room / space between speakers, 5.1 will sound as good as 7.1 and 5-point or 7-point TWO will probably sound just as good as point FOUR. BUT, if you're hacking through the ceiling you might as well put all four in and be done with.
Third: try to use in or at least on ceiling speakers. Results with speakers that sit on top of your existing ones and bounce sound off the ceiling can be disappointing. It's a bit hit and miss.
Fourth:
If you're not prepared to hack into your ceiling consider front high speakers instead. You can put these up where wall meets ceiling, angle them down towards your couch, and all you need to worry about is hiding the speaker cables to the high speakers.
Fifth:
Don't worry too much about matching brand and series for your overheads. Same impedance, same-ish sensitivity, and same-ish power, yes. Brand and / or series not so much. Your receiver equalisation should take care of the rest.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts