Upgrading from Pro-Ject Debut III

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Ok so it's like this. A friend of mine recently gave up on the idea of modding his Debut and has decided to move on. I've come into possession of an acrylic platter and speedbox to use with mine (which has what I think is a fairly decent cartridge - Ortofon Super OM body with Digitrac SE stylus) and have been surprised by quite how reasonable it sounds. I've also come into a fair amount of vinyl recently as my dad hasn't got a TT anymore, and my listening habits have been adjusted accordingly. So I'm wondering which direction I should take from here. In a way I'm quite happy with what I've got, but then I'd never have started lurking on these forums were I not curious about getting something better.

Now I do need something that will play 78s. Not that I have many, but just having a few is enough for me to need that capability. I think the best Pro-Ject model with that option is the RPM 5 (or some variation thereof), with the RPM 6 now seemingly unavailable. So 2 questions:

a) am I right in thinking that there are very few manufacturers that make anything with this feature?

b) is the RPM 5(.?) going to be a noticeable enough upgrade and really worth the money, or should I hang around and see if I can pick up a 2nd hand RPM 6?

Ok so that's nearly 3 questions. Any input (within reason, obviously!) would be most appreciated.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Firstly, bear in mind that if you want to play 78s properly, then you will need a cartridge and/or stylus suited to 78rpm playback.

A stylus designed for LP playback will just sit at the bottom of the groove rather than sit in the sidewalls where the recording information is.

An option would be a modified Technics SL1210 either by Soundhifi (www.soundhifi.com/78.html) or KAB (http://www.kabusa.com/index_ac.htm), but this isn't cheap. However it will be a good step up from your Debut sound quality-wise, and has the advantage that you can change cartridges easily for when you want to play 78s.

You could buy a 2nd hand SL1210 for £200 or so (make sure it has the original packing) and ship it to KAB where their upgrade will cost $175.

An alternative option for the odd occasion you want to play a 78rpm disc could be to pick up a 1970s turntable such as a Goldring Lenco GL78 or similar - this can then be fitted with the correct cart and stylus. These are available for between £40 and £80.

I'm afraid I haven't heard the RPM 5 or 6, so can't really comment.

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I should have said that I do have the 78 stylus that fits onto the ortofon cartridge, meaning that I currently can play 78s. I did see the Technics, but am not sure I'd get away with some thing that looks arguably less pleasing on the eye than even the debut! Hence my reasoning for narrowing it down to those 2. Although the lower cost would be nice...

Henley

Nov 26, 2007
Visit site
You should notice a substantial difference between the Debut and an RPM5. Considering that many 78's were not actually recorded at 78rpm, it may be worth adding a Speedbox S/E which has a 10% pitch control. Otherwise just get the standard Speedbox and a 78 pulley for the RPM5.

willgaunt

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Not sure my 78 collection would justify the expense of the Speedbox SE. In any case I have the mk II normal one, and the 78 pulley, already, which is part of the reason I thought it convenient to stick with pro-ject. Not entirely keen on mdf for the platter. Might have to suck it and see, and if I don't like it there are always 3rd party acrylic options. Unless pro-ject are going to bring one out themselves...?

TRENDING THREADS