Upgrading from Linn Classik Music 08

Magpau

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I currently have a system consisting of a Linn Classik Musik 08 and a pair of Royd RR3:s. As I realize that the Classik is the weak link of my system I'm thinking about replacing it with a separate CD and amplifier, My first choice would be to buy the Roksan Caspian M2 duo which I heard and really liked, but for the time being it's not within my budget, Therefore I'm considering as a first step something in the price range of the Kandy K2 duo or the Audiolab 8200 (CD+A) - both for which I could get a good deal on as display items or a second hand Naim. The question is, would these products be a decent upgrade from the Classik that would help me get better sound qualty out of my Royds while I save enough money to buy the Caspians? Are there any other products I should consider in that price range? I listen to a variety of music including rock, calssical, jazz and opera. Grateful for help and inputs. Regards Magnus

Magpau

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Another option would be to replace the Classik with the Audiolab 8200 CD and the Rega Brio-R, while saving for the Capians. Would that combo be a noticeable improvement over the Classik? Your help and advise would be highly appreciated! Best regards Magnus

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If you're sure the Classik is the weak link, you may want to consider keeping the transport/dac/pre-amp elements and get a Linn LK 140 power amp off eBay.

Magpau

May 1, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the advise! I'm pretty sure that the Classik is the weak end. After all it's a "oneboxsolution" from 2008, wheli the RR 3:s were probaly the best product Royd ever released, in a quite different price range than the Classik. I have also considered the LK140 option, but then I would still have the same source. But my basic question is: Shouldn't the front end - the transport and DAC - have developped over the last 7 years?

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Magpau said:
Thanks for the advise! I'm pretty sure that the Classik is the weak end. After all it's a "oneboxsolution" from 2008, wheli the RR 3:s were probaly the best product Royd ever released, in a quite different price range than the Classik. I have also considered the LK140 option, but then I would still have the same source. But my basic question is: Shouldn't the front end - the transport and DAC - have developped over the last 7 years?

You might think so but it could cost you serious money to find out. If the Lk140 isn't the answer, you'll get your money back reselling.

Magpau

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I see your point. It could be worth a try. Still I would be very interested to hear if someone has an opinion on the quality of the Classik compared to todays separtes.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I have a Classik in my second system - sounds pretty good to me but I prefer streaming from a NAS. I think the days of CDs and CD players are numbered but not everyone agrees.

Magpau

May 1, 2014
Visit site
I'm not unhappy with the Classik as I intend to keep it as a second system in my bedroom, perhaps with a pair of KEF LS50 - if my girlfriend lets me. (Strange enough she is not very keen on having a Hifi system in the bedroom...) But I do intend to get something better for the living room. As I said my long term plan are the Caspians, but my question remains if the Kandy K2 duo or something similar in price would be a clear improvment over the Classik. And yes, I still want a CD player.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts