Upgrading an entire hifi. Where to Start?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am planning on upgrading my entire Hifi, and I am at a loss as to where to start! The trouble is obviously I can't demo an amp, or an CDP with my existing kit, as I won't know what I'm going to partner it with.

Any suggestions where to begin would be grateful, as would general kit opinions/experiences.

My budget is approx. £3000 all in.

Thanks!

If it makes a difference, I'm upgrading from Arcam A70, CD73 and B&W 685. Looking for something with a little more ooomph! I listen to most genres of music.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I would change the amplifier first, then the speakers, then the CD player last. That way, your current speakers, and the speakers you end up going for will be driven properly - you won't be left with under par sounding speakers for any duration of time. Plus, leaving he player until last, you'll get the full benefit of it when you do.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
My suggestion would be to go a few dealers, tell them your budget and let them put together some 3K setups for you to audition... That way you can decide on an entire setup that has the right synergy, rather trying to piece together different gear and hope for the best...

tenergy

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
Disclaimer: My suggestion will be a bit biased towards the music I tend to listen to -- mostly jazz, chill-out, house, electronica and acoustic vocals.

I agree that the amp will be key, being the heart and soul of your system, followed by the speakers, then the "front end".

For your budget, my biased suggestion would be to go for a Rega system - Elicit amp, RS5 speakers and Saturn cd player. Their interconnects and cables will slot in your budget just fine as well. Hey, if you can swing a special deal for the whole lot, you may even be able to afford a P3 turntable in or around your budget.

My greatly devalued 2 cents :) good luck!

T

the record spot

With more oomph, I think you want more bass but not at the expense of any midrange or clarity at the top end? Knowing the kind of sound you like your music to have's the first step for me usually.

You're not necessarily tied down to the traditional amp/speakers/CD route either, at least, not in their traditional three box configuration, so it might be worth considering those options too if you haven't already.

Pre/Power amps, integrated/power amps, active speakers and offboard DACs could all form alernatives to your current set-up (just not all at once!).

I assume you can find out about some of this stuff independently. I suggested active speakers the other day as an alternative for another poster and was jumped on by someone who assumed I meant adding active speakers to a system which already had an amplifier (silly me). I assumed the OP had the capacity to do some research of their own and wouldn't need spoon-feeding chapter and verse. Such is the forum mindset at times and no offence meant.

Were it my money, I'd seriously consider active speakers as a viable option. Choose ones which have good powerful onboard amp power sections (so Acoustic Energy AE22 Actives - £850, Genelec 8040A - £1100, AVI ADM 9.1 - £1100) and perhaps add an offboard DAC to your CD73. Does your Arcam CDP have an onboard volume control? Some players do and this would mean you might do without a pre-amplifier to control volume, however if you need to select between more than one source (e.g., DVD player) then you'll need a pre-amp.

Actives more typically feature in recording studios, and some are unsuitable for the home being aimed at the music production sector where producers value a near ruthless neutrality which can make for an uneasy ride for domestic listener. However, the Acoustic Energy speakers received a cracking review in WHF a year or two back and I heard the Genelecs earlier this year (the 8030A, the model down) but was astounded by how good they were. Bass depth that was deeply impressive given the size of the speaker. The 8040A maintains this but has a more powerful onboard amplifier (90w to each of the amp and tweeter sections - ample by any other name!).

If you're keen to stick with the traditional separates route, I'd look at Harman Kardon's HK990 amp and the rather impressive partnering HD990 CDP (which I heard in the summer) and which work wonderfully well together. HK is a criminally underlooked brand in the UK and while their styling for their current range includes a batty volume control (and rather plasticky for my liking) the sound quality is very impressive. The amp is around £900-1000 depending on where you buy and is one of the best specced on the market currently.

Stello's DA100 Signature offboard DAC is another option, roughly £700 or so and this could go straight onto your Arcam player which I assume has suitable connectivity. Cyrus do another, albeit more expensive as part of the 8XPd amplifier. Opinions vary on Cyrus gear with some finding it too bright and this might be the case if you're upgrading in steps and running alongside your 685s. The Arcam CD73 uses a Sony transport I think, and was well reviewed when it came out, so this could be a good option for you too.

Speakers I'll leave out, but plenty of people will have their views on Spendor, Neat, ATC, ProAc and Monitor Audio RX6s on here. All I would say is that good though those brands are, there's a wider range available, so do also consider other options as well (Sonus Faber, Acoustic Energy, Mission and Opera to name but four of many more).

£3k though, a lot of fine gear out there for that money - lucky chap!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
tom241082:
I am planning on upgrading my entire Hifi, and I am at a loss as to where to start! The trouble is obviously I can't demo an amp, or an CDP with my existing kit, as I won't know what I'm going to partner it with.

Any suggestions where to begin would be grateful, as would general kit opinions/experiences.

My budget is approx. £3000 all in.

Thanks!

If it makes a difference, I'm upgrading from Arcam A70, CD73 and B&W 685. Looking for something with a little more ooomph! I listen to most genres of music.

Wow! This will be an upgrade!!

You can get a serious system with £3k. I would look at ex demo stuff and second hand from dealers as well as new - I got my amp for £900 second hand (perfect condition). I think the hardest choice is the cd player. Will you ever use computer based music?

If I was to start again with £3k, I would still hunt for my Moon amp, and pair it with some PMC or Wilson speakers and of I was made to use a cd player, I would leave myself £500 and get an Arcam CD192 and use the rest for a good interconnect.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I can't speak for the overall upgrade, but instead of getting an new cd player, I'd be very tempted to spend the same kind of money on a serious DAC, using your old CD player as a transport and giving the potential to use a computer (or even iPod through digital transport) as a source.

Whatever you do, I hope you take plenty of time and enjoy your auditioning. There's plenty of great stuff out there at that kind of budget.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts