Upgrading All In One Home Cinema System

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Just looking at my next upgrade path , I currently have a pioneer DCS-585 dvd home cinema system which is used all the time for sound on my Tv ( LE40554 ) as the sound is rubbish , and i was wondering how to improve things for the future .

I was thinking i could replace the speakers of the dcs 585 for maybe bostons soundware xs package which i would hope for an improvement in sound , though if not a major one due to amp and standard cables it would still be an improvement .

then later i could pickup an older surround AV amp of eBay maybe as these seem pretty cheap now when they don't support HDMI of HD audio and when i'm using only freesat /dvd and apple Tv would i benefit from a HDMI AV amp?

O yes the speakers on the dcs 585 are 4ohms and the bostons are 8ohms would this be a problem for the pioneer amp?

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
So can someone just confirm it would be alright to upgrade the speakers from the pioneer to the bostons ? and will the ohms rating of the new speakers be fine with the AV home cinema system?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I may be wrong, but the speaker connections on the back of the DCS-585 look like they use a proprietary connection to me (the multi-coloured terminals on the back):

dcs585_rear.jpg

If so, it would mean splicing cables from your current set and the Bostons to get them to fit - something I personally wouldn't be keen to do even though I think they would cope with the power output of the Pioneer unit, though I wouldn't drive them too hard.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Plus there's also the small problem that the Boston subwoofer won't work with the Pioneer system: the Pioneer subwoofer is passive, with the amplifier built into the system's main unit, whereas the Boston sub is active, and needs a preamp-level input on an RCA phono cable.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Hmmmm well any suggestions how i could upgrade without buying the hole lot all at once ( speakers , amp & cable ) as i am on a tight budget

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
That's the problem with these all-in-one systems: they're designed to be used as a whole, not upgraded. The only solution would be to buy a speaker package with a subwoofer having both preamp-level and high-level (speaker-level) inputs, but I think the main unit will still be a limiting factor.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yep, i'd go for a complete new-generation package - leaving your Pioneer for another room, maybe, or a gift for friends/family (or an eBay sale!)

One-box systems have moved on considerably, and you should be able to get a Blu-ray set-up for @£400 that'll be a great buy.

Either that or enjoy your Pioneer for a while longer while saving up for a separates package - you can buy a cracking budget set up for £700 or less right now.

We've got a test of new BD systems in our next issue, incidentally....

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
Yes i agree with Andrew, the only way i can see you getting the system you want is im afraid to start again.Now this dosen't have to be as expensive as you think im not sure on your budget, but by using google you can find the speakers and amp you want and certain online websites can offer you 6 equal payments.I would go down this road find the system you want and can afford, and then sell your all in one Pioneer. Also your not allowed to buy certain Denon and Yamaha amps online, but Onkyo amps you can.Speaker cable for this system should be low end budget and the same with HDMI cables. the more you save here the better amp you can get.

Alternative speakers to the Bostons are the Jamo's 102 and for larger traditional speakers Q Acoustic 1010i at £299 offer great value for money.Let us know a bit more on these ideas and we can halp you again.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I for sure want to go down the separates route again , i used to have a Denon 2303 and Oceana ( crane audio ) surround sound system with a MJ Acoustics Sub which was nice but i didn't understand setting it up back then , and with a small room due to a move it was a little over kill .

I would really like compact speakers ( bostons / jamos / bose ) style and AV amp to match the speakers performance .

I would consider monthly instalments so if you know of any good sites please let me know

Or i could go down the ebay route and buy second hand to get things sooner

Would i actually gain from anything with an amp with hdmi or just an amp with optical as i would only be running my freesat , apple tv and xbox though it?

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
This company offers instalments and have good friendly staff, also they have stock of the Bostons which they have discounted.The price is £30 cheaper than anyone else i can find, so would help pay for the speaker cables. Then you could afford to buy the amp as well, but i would still demo if possible.

A

Anonymous

lobby:
This company offers instalments and have good friendly staff, also they have stock of the Bostons which they have discounted.The price is £30 cheaper than anyone else i can find, so would help pay for the speaker cables. Then you could afford to buy the amp as well, but i would still demo if possible.

Your link isn't working there Lobby

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts