upgrades

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Hope you guys don't get too annoyed with all my posts.

Made a big 'deliberate' mistake, I went and listened to higher-end TTs (Nottingham Analogue, Origin Live and VPI). Naturally I expect their systems to sound better which they did but the one that hit me the most was Fleetwood Mac's 'Go your own way' on Nottingham Spacedeck, 12" Nottingham tonearm, entry level MC.

The guitar section was so detailed and clear, felt like they were playing next to me. Naturally I went home and played the same song. Of course I cannot expect the same results, but it was an eye opener.......like speakers I guess CM1 vs PM1 vs PMC 21s.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TT, love the sound, guess I'm trying to run before I can walk.

What would you suggest first if I want to go the upgrade path?

i) upgrade cart to Nag MP150 or 2M blue?

ii) external phono preamp for MM and MC? what price bracket would I need to get into to see an improvement over my RA-1570's built-in MM phono?

iii) others? placement? isolation platform?

(If I wanted to dive in, I could just use my savings and for example grab a Gyrodec, OL silver arm with a Quintet blue MC.........no idea if this combo even works)

thanks

boshk said:
Hope you guys don't get too annoyed with all my posts.

Made a big 'deliberate' mistake, I went and listened to higher-end TTs (Nottingham Analogue, Origin Live and VPI). Naturally I expect their systems to sound better which they did but the one that hit me the most was Fleetwood Mac's 'Go your own way' on Nottingham Spacedeck, 12" Nottingham tonearm, entry level MC.

The guitar section was so detailed and clear, felt like they were playing next to me. I tried to listen for the same clarity with my TT, didnt work.

Don't get me wrong, I love my TT, guess I'm trying to run before I can walk.

What would you suggest first if I want to go the upgrade path?

i) upgrade cart to Nag MP150 or 2M blue?

ii) external phono preamp for MM and MC? what price bracket would I need to get into to see an improvement over my RA-1570's built-in MM phono?

iii) others? placement? isolation platform?

(If I wanted to dive in, I could just use my savings and for example grab a Gyrodec, OL silver arm with a Quintet blue MC.........no idea if this combo even works)

thanks

[/quote}

Ah, all those questions..... bug has obviously bitten. My first question to you is after hearing the ones you did why do you then want to change tack completely and go for a Gyrodec (after what you say about the Spacedeck)?

Otherwise I would go for isolation platform - preferably wall-mounted. (Even if you upgrade the TT this is still going to be very useful for any future TT). Then upgrade your cartridge for sure, either of your choice of the 2 you mention, or for a bit more cash the Nagaoka MP-200.

You'd need to spend a lot more on your cartridge or swap to moving coil design before I'd consider spending any money on an external phono stage. The one in the Rotel is quite good.

I think, in the long run, you can spend a lot more money by slowly upgrading bits (and losing money by selling on your old bits at considerable depreciation), than actually biting the bullet and going for a complete system upgrade right now.

As stated earlier cannot see how you suddenly switched to Gyrodec but should you wish to go down this route then what you have listed should make a fine system - no reason it should not work. NOTE: I have not heard the Quintet Blue and would not really entertain it as it is a Moving Coil and the output would not suit the Rotels input (meaning you'd need an external phono preamp as well). Here I'd stick with a moving magnet of similar cost. (Rule of thumb #1:- Do not buy a moving coil design unless prepared to pay over £500 and opt for a low-output design)

Also, although the Origin Live Silver is a very good arm for the money, do not rule out the Michell Technoarm A which was obviously designed with the Gyrodec in mind and costs about the same.

boshk

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Sorry, I'll clarify. When I started being curious, I looked at higher end Project, Rega, Clearaudio, then VPI then I came across Michell. I pretty much stopped here then came tonearms. SME was one options u guys mention so I went to the only dealer in Hong Kong who is also the Nottingham Analogue, that's how I got to hear the Spacedeck.

After reading your opinion, I might stick to MM even if I upgrade, at least it gives me the option of slow upgrade now, ie grab a mp-150 and go from there.
Wall mount might be a problem....unless I ditch my tv.

TRENDING THREADS