Upgrades

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DAVE STAR

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
I would say so, but I'd strongly recommend a demo and comparison with other amps. If you are near somewhere like Richer sounds then, I'd demo with a Roksan K3 and Arcam A15. Basically, visit a dealer and have a chat. A decent dealer won't want you to leave with something you are not happy about. Don't feel pressured to buy anything you are not sure about.

All those amps have good MM phono inputs, so you may find you do not need the Rega pre-amp, but you can decide for yourself.

From non-Richer sources, I'd add the Rega Elex Mk4.

I would not get too hung up about tone controls. If the amp is doing its job you probably don't need/want them. You probably should take a long a copy of an LP you normally tweak the sound of. Same mostly applies to the inclusion of digital outputs. You can ignore them if the amp is your preference.

Note that all those amps, except for the K3 (from Richer Sounds VIP offer) are over your stated budget, unless you know of a deal.
Hi thanks for that my nearest is Maidstone as I live in Dartford.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Having thought the K2 would be my 'forever amp' I got that K3 at Richers with 20% off (which ends next week) for £575. On last check only available Guildford and Chester. Superb and has the customary stellar phono stage.

I'd suggest at that price you take my view that 'It'd be rude not to'.

Reactions: nopiano

Jasonovich

Hi thanks for that my nearest is Maidstone as I live in Dartford.
Also in addition to all the amps mentioned, the Emotiva BasX TA1 has a reputation of being a mighty fine amp, it also comes with a DAC and Bluetooth connectivity.
Worth investigating?

1726503130056.png

1726503299984.png

1726503472275.png

Jasonovich

I know nothing about this receiver but also available and Richer Sounds for slightly less money. The OP did say they were an analogue person, so I don't know if it fits the bill. A quick scan of reviews does indicate it is good, though.
They do have the DACless version and is cheaper. I was thinking in terms of future proof, if you buy a budget streamer like the WiiM, you can run it through the amps built in DAC which is likely to give better sound quality or if it was me, I can network it through my NAS or PC or plug in via the various DAC inputs, a digital transport like the Android based JF and play my stored music directly from it.

I have two of these babies, a much better option than using your laptop or PC but yes, you're absolutely correct, if you just want analogue, you're not going to be interested in digital.

Yes, a lot of positive reviews of the Emotiva and I think it's a good alternative to Arcam, Cambridge, Rega etc. :)

Reactions: DCarmi

DCarmi

I am a vinyl and CD person, who streams a just a bit. My route would be a rock solid amp and look at separate digital devices. I'm not planning an amp upgrade, at the moment (house repairs come first), but the Roksan K3 would be on my list. I already have the CD player, not that I am bothered by non-matching equipment. The thing just feels like it is built to last.

The Rega Elex would also be on the list, but by the time upgrade is due, things will have changed.

I'd always go with a separate streamer and Wiim is what I have. The Mini and the Pro are fine for my purposes. If ever they need replacing then I'd replace with similarly inexpensive devices.

good_enough

Mar 12, 2016
Visit site
Great thanks for that
So Richers have listening rooms and with notice they'll set things up. For example I was buying some cans and said I had Roksan K3 CD and K2 amp and they set up with the nearest possible (the K2 being out of prod) being a K3 CD and K3 amp for me to listen to pretty much every pair of headphones they had. I took my own pile of CDs with me for the purpose. I was whistling away in the back room on my tod swapping cans in and out and taking my own good time over a decision.

Also sign up for VIP before you go (it just means giving your email so they can send you offers):

1726686423574.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts