Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice. I have:

A Technics sl1500c turntable,
A Rega Mk 4 preamp.
A Yamaha A-S301 amplifier,
and a pair of Q Acoustics 3050's tower speakers
using an Ortofon 2m black stylus.

Is there any upgrade I could go for that won't break the bank. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks guys

DCarmi

If you are happy with the system then don't upgrade. If you are not happy what do you find lacking and what budget do you have?

My immediate thought is the amp, though not bad, perhaps looks a little outclassed by the other components.

Reactions: nopiano

DAVE STAR

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
If you are happy with the system then don't upgrade. If you are not happy what do you find lacking and what budget do you have?

My immediate thought is the amp, though not bad, perhaps looks a little outclassed by the other components.
Thanks for your advise.

I feel I am lacking in a tight punchy bass and clarity although I maybe looking for the impossible. I have a budget of under £1000.
If you feel that the amp is outclassed what do you would you suggest?

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Had one of those big Yam's they are a bit lacking in bass with your budget you could get a Rega Elicit R or you could even get the Arcam A15 they supposedly work well with those QA 3050's. Im running my A15 with AE 320's sounds very nice with good bass.

DAVE STAR

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
Had one of those big Yam's they are a bit lacking in bass with your budget you could get a Rega Elicit R or you could even get the Arcam A15 they supposedly work well with those QA 3050's. Im running my A15 with AE 320's sounds very nice with good bass.
Thank you for your suggestions will look into them.

They are not ‘big’ at all, except it’s not a slim case - in fact I think it was the most modest of the range.

I agree the amp is the weak link.

QA speakers are lovely, but they are more mellow than analytical.

Reactions: speedthing

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Welcome, Dave!

If there is space for a minority opinion, I don't think your amp is a weakness at all. In fact, I'd only need your nice Rega with your setup! But your Yamaha is a very nice integrated amp too.

If you're considering the new-integrated suggestions, I'd recommend one with an extra set of speaker terminals to reach for that "tight punchy bass and clarity" improvement. I'd prefer to take aim for that with different or additional speakers. Otherwise, I'd again stay put rather than reaching for supposed improved Q A 3050 matches.

DAVE STAR

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
Welcome, Dave!

If there is space for a minority opinion, I don't think your amp is a weakness at all. In fact, I'd only need your nice Rega with your setup! But your Yamaha is a very nice integrated amp too.

If you're considering the new-integrated suggestions, I'd recommend one with an extra set of speaker terminals to reach for that "tight punchy bass and clarity" improvement. I'd prefer to take aim for that with different or additional speakers. Otherwise, I'd again stay put rather than reaching for supposed improved Q A 3050 matches.
Thank you for your reply, maybe it's just an itch and I don't really need to upgrade. You know what this hobby is like you end up chasing you tail sometimes.

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi everyone, I am looking for some advice. I have:

A Technics sl1500c turntable,
A Rega Mk 4 preamp.
A Yamaha A-S301 amplifier,
and a pair of Q Acoustics 3050's tower speakers
using an Ortofon 2m black stylus.

Is there any upgrade I could go for that won't break the bank. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks guys
Hi Dave,

you have a nice system. Technics sl1500c is a strong performer. And you have also very good cartridge and matching phono preamp. You say you miss some bass slam etc. QA 3050 speakers have quite full "big" bass for their class. If your room is not bigger than some 25m², speakers like QA 3050i have accurate bass for such room. Weakest ring in your system is your Yamaha a-s301 amp. Even this amp is good, but for different-cheaper system. You may look for amp like Cambridge Audio CXA 81mk1 or mk2, Rega Elex-R (also this alder generation is excellent) or new Rega Elex mk4 with Dac. If it was mee I will take new Rega Elex mk4 and later combine it with Q Acoustics 5040, also excellent speaker or new Rega Aya speakers. Rega Aya with Elex amp are truly special combo, full of life and energy. Rega works very well also with Cabasse, Triangle, Fyne Audio, some Tannoy, Xavian and even some Dynaudio speakers. BR.

Reactions: nopiano

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Can you explain how having an extra set of speaker terminals on an amp changes its sound?
Through which he might add a second set of speakers that might complement his.

You're on the ball, though: terminals on anything will not affect any sound! Alas, I might have noted that: Thankfully, it didn't stump newcomer Dave.

Reactions: Gray

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Through which he might add a second set of speakers that might complement his.

You're on the ball, though: terminals on anything will not affect any sound! Alas, I might have noted that: Thankfully, it didn't stump newcomer Dave.
Think this is adding something the OP doesn't need like sticking a Sub in the mix if you have a good Amp speaker pairing you don't need a Sub ive been into HiFi for over 40 years ive never needed a Sub.

Rodolfo

Jul 31, 2023
Visit site
Think this is adding something the OP doesn't need like sticking a Sub in the mix if you have a good Amp speaker pairing you don't need a Sub ive been into HiFi for over 40 years ive never needed a Sub.
Where did you read "Sub" in either of my posts, speedthing? I have not wanted nor recommended a sub in over 50 years that I've been into Hi-Fi; hence, I would not disagree with the thrust of your well-liked contribution.

I do use two sets of complementary -for my tastes- speakers attached to my Rotel integrated, though the sub output in the unit has been ignored for over 6 years.

By the by, in over 50 years, I don't recall ever criticizing anyone else's taste or preference for a subwoofer. Some of my best friends... ;)

DAVE STAR

Oct 4, 2023
Visit site
I do like the idea of being able to turn the bass and treble to my liking sometimes so I have been looking at a Marantz model 50 as they say it is all analogue components and I mainly listen to vinyl. Would this be a big improvement to my systems in your opinion. Thank you for everyone's input I value your opinions.

speedthing

Apr 2, 2024
Visit site
Where did you read "Sub" in either of my posts, speedthing? I have not wanted nor recommended a sub in over 50 years that I've been into Hi-Fi; hence, I would not disagree with the thrust of your well-liked contribution.

I do use two sets of complementary -for my tastes- speakers attached to my Rotel integrated, though the sub output in the unit has been ignored for over 6 years.

By the by, in over 50 years, I don't recall ever criticizing anyone else's taste or preference for a subwoofer. Some of my best friends... ;)
HI Rodolfo im sorry if you think is was critical of your post. I wasn't trying to be at all I didn't say you said anything about a Sub I was just saying that adding another set of speakers was adding something the OP maybe is not looking for. I put the bit in about the Sub as ive seen countless posts on other forums about people not getting the bass they are looking for and other peoples fix for that was to drop a Sub in and that may not be the best option. The speakers the OP has give good bass thats a known maybe not the best detailed. I also wasn't critical of anyone that uses a Sub ive found that over the years ive never needed one I have a friend that has one in his AV setup it sounds awesome. Ive had similar issues to the OP recently and lost quite a lot of money pairing the wrong set of speakers with my new Amp. I had a set of MA bronze 6 sounded great but got way to boomy the louder they got in my small room. So swapped them out for some very nice AE500's the louder these got the harsher the highs got was actually painful to listen to ended up hating them so traded them out for a set of AE320's and lost £700 on the 500's on trade in.
I up until just a few months ago I had about 10 amps in my collection I have a dynavox amp switch so I can test the sound of one Amp directly with another and I did have the same Amp as the OP and one other Yam the AS-201 out of all those Amps those 2 Yams where pretty thin in the bass department.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rodolfo

DCarmi

I would say so, but I'd strongly recommend a demo and comparison with other amps. If you are near somewhere like Richer sounds then, I'd demo with a Roksan K3 and Arcam A15. Basically, visit a dealer and have a chat. A decent dealer won't want you to leave with something you are not happy about. Don't feel pressured to buy anything you are not sure about.

All those amps have good MM phono inputs, so you may find you do not need the Rega pre-amp, but you can decide for yourself.

From non-Richer sources, I'd add the Rega Elex Mk4.

I would not get too hung up about tone controls. If the amp is doing its job you probably don't need/want them. You probably should take a long a copy of an LP you normally tweak the sound of. Same mostly applies to the inclusion of digital outputs. You can ignore them if the amp is your preference.

Note that all those amps, except for the K3 (from Richer Sounds VIP offer) are over your stated budget, unless you know of a deal.

TRENDING THREADS