'Upgrades' that went wrong.

I'm struck by how often people caution great care when advising others about upgrading, which I am sure is sound advice (NPI) - often it's suggested that X might not work with Y, or with the room size etc. I am not questioning the soundness of such advice, but I can't say I've ever regretted upgrading and very little of what I have bought has been demoed at home - several bits were solely off the backs of reviews or sourced from eBay. So, have I been lucky? Have you bought stuff that you have regretted*?

(* By which I mean that overall you wish you hadn't bothered, rather than 'item X was better than item Y in most ways, but not all.')

matthewpiano

I can't say I've ever wished that I hadn't bothered as every change in a system is interesting in different ways, but I have experienced the disappointment of 'upgrades' that haven't really delivered for me and my needs. I've had decidedly average experiences of moving from budget to mid-level kit and often found the expected improvements underwhelming.

I run two systems - one in the lounge and one in the bedroom - and I'm now reaching the point where I'm happy for them both to be well balanced 'budget' systems that deliver the music rather than distracting from it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts