Question upgrades for AT-LPW40WN?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
...back to the subject:
People frown upon YouTube demonstrations of hi-fi....with good reason usually.
For example, someone did a cartridge comparison - but because his recorder didn't have direct line input, he used microphones. So you not only heard the cartridges, but his amp, speakers, room acoustics and the mics.

But this one is more useful.
He does cut between them a bit too quickly, but even so...
Note that the 'E' stylus here is the black version rather than the more common green (which you probably have).
True enough, YT is far from the perfect medium and much will also depend on the playback equipment involved.
But with, say, a decent pair of headphones you may well hear some difference between the two.
(The fact that you might struggle, could also tell you something):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWr-cKcP7nU
For those interested, he provides links to lossless files (just as well with the inner groove distortion test, that he's had to mute due to copyright).
I really listened today with my beyerdynamic 990's on and I can't tell the difference. Maybe I should just spend money on records instead. No problem with that of course, when I was looking at cartridges, I ended up buying two records.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

I really listened today with my beyerdynamic 990's on and I can't tell the difference. Maybe I should just spend money on records instead. No problem with that of course, when I was looking at cartridges, I ended up buying two records.
Yes, even making allowances for YouTube, if you have to listen so hard - you really do have to question the value of the 'upgrade'.

You've got an excellent cartridge supplied with what looks like a very nice turntable.
(Being AT, I can't imagine it's built-in preamp being sub standard either).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts