Question upgrades for AT-LPW40WN?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
As I had previously posted if you buy the complete cartridge all you have to do is swap around the stylus take the ML stylus from the new cartridge and put it into your existing body as it is exactly the same body no real setting up involved only possibly tracking force adjustment.In general it's 2.0g
I didn't get what you meant before. Now, I'm thinking I could put the old stylus in the new cartridge and keep it stored there.

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
...back to the subject:
People frown upon YouTube demonstrations of hi-fi....with good reason usually.
For example, someone did a cartridge comparison - but because his recorder didn't have direct line input, he used microphones. So you not only heard the cartridges, but his amp, speakers, room acoustics and the mics.

But this one is more useful.
He does cut between them a bit too quickly, but even so...
Note that the 'E' stylus here is the black version rather than the more common green (which you probably have).
True enough, YT is far from the perfect medium and much will also depend on the playback equipment involved.
But with, say, a decent pair of headphones you may well hear some difference between the two.
(The fact that you might struggle, could also tell you something):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWr-cKcP7nU
For those interested, he provides links to lossless files (just as well with the inner groove distortion test, that he's had to mute due to copyright).
Can't tell the difference yet. That does make me pause, but as you said yt not the ideal medium for this kind of testing.

If you like the E would you suggest getting a preamp instead? or do nothing?

Gray

would you suggest getting a preamp instead? or do nothing?
Good questions.
Many people would say that you should go for a good preamp.
You will often see claims of 'night and day' differences with all things hi-fi - especially based on the theory of more expensive, necessarily, being better.
But the proof of the pudding....

I've currently got 3 standalone phono preamps at home. 2 are 'budget' models and one is a significantly more expensive box with its own, separate high quality power supply unit - a large part of it's cost and something that should be of benefit.

Using the same VM95E cartridge and vinyl track, I made (lossless) digital recordings of all three - then sent them to a friend (with better playback equipment and ears than myself).
He could not tell them apart, neither can I.....and I would defy anyone else to do so.
The point is, most of us would bet money that there would be an audible difference - and in particular between the price extremes.
Based on that, I'd say you could (happily) do nothing - unless the preamp in your AV amp really is rubbish.

....But then there are your speakers.
Not sure what yours are like - but that's where you do get night and day sound differences.....

camcroft

Good questions.
You will often see claims of 'night and day' differences with all things hi-fi - especially based on the theory of more expensive, necessarily, being better.

I've currently got 3 standalone phono preamps at home. 2 are 'budget' models and one is a significantly more expensive box with its own, separate high quality power supply unit - a large part of it's cost and something that should be of benefit.

Using the same VM95E cartridge and vinyl track, I made (lossless) digital recordings of all three - then sent them to a friend (with better playback equipment and ears than myself).
He could not tell them apart, neither can I.....and I would defy anyone else to do so.
The point is, most of us would bet money that there would be an audible difference - and in particular between the price extremes.
Based on that, I'd say you could (happily) do nothing - unless the preamp in your AV amp really is rubbish.

Not sure what yours are like - but that's where you do get night and day sound differences.....
Is she not using the phono stage from the LPW40WN as the receiver doesn't have one.

Reactions: Gray

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
Good questions.

I have Polk Audio RTi A1's. I believe they are decent middle of the road speakers. I'm content with them for the time being.

Maddie

Feb 10, 2023
Visit site
How are you connecting it to the receiver are you using the Auxiliary input
through an input that's labeled "AV2" - two rca's - and one more rca above the the two inputs labeled "video." In theory that might be a line in just like any other line in. I decided to get the Denon because it has a plain old Aux input (that and some updated AV features).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 12.19.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-02-11 at 12.19.29 PM.png
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts