Upgrade to Sky+HD now or wait?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Sky are now doing a good deal on HD, £49+£30 install + HD subscription. Is this just because they are trying to increase the take-up of HD or is it because they will be launching a new box. Shortcomings of existing box = 1080i rather than p, no multi-channel through HDMI (need optical in parallel), smallish disk, no DVD record. Does anyone know if they plan to launch a box to address these and include Blu-ray Disk recording?

Is 1080i a limitation of the box or of the broadcast itself? Sky says its down to the broadcast whether its 720p or 1080i. I currently have a Sony 32V2000 TV. What will give best picture: 720p or 1080i?

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
1080p requires massive bandwidth so it is unlikely that it'll ever happen. The current deal is great value. I've not heard of any new boxes on the horizon. Go for it.

Hendy00

Jul 25, 2007
Visit site
VoodooDoctor:1080p requires massive bandwidth so it is unlikely that it'll ever happen. The current deal is great value. I've not heard of any new boxes on the horizon. Go for it.

It is a great deal if you are not an existing customer. Otheriwse it is practically the full whack plus installation - £200 +approx I was quoted this price as an existing subscriber. My mind still boggles as i thought as a customer for 8 yrs there might be some good offers going.
Check out the monthy fees though as that can be a nasty shock once it all adds up.

A

Anonymous

Got mine for £75 back in October, and I thought that was a good deal. Go for It, I love the HD picture and 5.1 sound and will be disappointed when my movie package deal ends in March.

£49 is a bargain, you wont regret it.

The only downside is the lack of hardrive available for the end user, as a lot of the GB is taken up with the anytime recording.

My tv's native resolution is 1080i though, so I can't coment on how the 1080i sky output would appear on you 1080p TV.

VoodooDoctor

Sep 23, 2007
Visit site
Silentknight:My tv's native resolution is 1080i though, so I can't coment on how the 1080i sky output would appear on you 1080p TV.

It looks very good on a 1080p TV.

Woodruffe

Feb 6, 2008
Visit site
Hi, don't know about the full price option for existing customers. I'm currently on Sky+ and have put in the order for HD and was quoted £50 for the box and £30 installation unless I wanted to move the + box to another room and pay for multiroom and have free instalation. The other tip I got was when I mentioned that if I did it online the first month's HD sub was free instead of £10 and the sales person said they would do it over the phone for me there and then! Only thing I have to do now is wait - think they have been swamped with orders and I'm currently looking at 2 to 4 weeks for an installation date, shame as I thought the Oscars in HD could be quite good!

Ben

stevee1966

Sep 21, 2007
Visit site
I was in a Comet store at lunchtime and i think the deal they are doing for new customers is Sky HD box for £29 plus free installation.

Not sure if there are any conditions like subscribing to Full HD package or whether you can just take the £10 a month HD option.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Woodruffe:
Hi, don't know about the full price option for existing customers. I'm currently on Sky+ and have put in the order for HD and was quoted £50 for the box and £30 installation unless I wanted to move the + box to another room and pay for multiroom and have free instalation. The other tip I got was when I mentioned that if I did it online the first month's HD sub was free instead of £10 and the sales person said they would do it over the phone for me there and then! Only thing I have to do now is wait - think they have been swamped with orders and I'm currently looking at 2 to 4 weeks for an installation date, shame as I thought the Oscars in HD could be quite good!

Ben

Hi,

Please note that the HD price of £49 is for non HD customers only. Existing HD customers cannot access this offer. The price is for the 1st HD box only.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

TRENDING THREADS