Upgrade to HiFI

DM_London

May 18, 2013
Visit site
New to this forum but do welcome any advice. I have a budget of around 1.5-2k to spend on adding a hi-fi setup to my current system. I currently use a Denon 3312 AVR, fed by Sony BDP S790 for cds and iTunes / Spotify via Airplay which is built into the Denon AVR. My AVR powers a 5.1 system (B&W 608 Sub, (old) pair of PMC DB1s left and right and some other centre / surround speakers).

Source: Most of my music is via Spotify though I have a small but growing CD collection.

"Problems":

1. I would like more bass extension from my speakers - DB1s are nice but lack a bit of oomph. Having a sub is useful for music but I think a newer pair of deeper bass standmounts would sound better for 2 channel music. I don't have space for a floorstanding pair.

2. Denon 3312 is a great AVR but I am sure there are better 2 channel int. amps for a budget of 500-800 (or is there??!)

3. If I buy the right cd player / dac e.g. audiolab 8200 or marantz ki pearl lite (I can wire my pc to my system via usb), I could get the best of cd + spotify. Alternatively, I can just get a good DAC and use my Sony BDP S790 as a cd transport

So here are the options i've narrowed down to are:

- Marantz KI Pearl Lite (CD + Amp) + B&W 685s

- Audiolab 8200 CD + 8200A + B&W 685s

- Audiolab MDAC + [Good Amp e.g. Kandy K2?] + [Monitor Audio BX2 or Tannoy DC6]

- any other suggestions welcome! I'd probably like to go 40/40/20 on my cost split between source / amp / speakers, but I just made up those ratios, so not sure they make sense....

T

the record spot

I'd probably spend more on the speakers to be fair. 40% on those.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I agree. While the 685s will give you a bit more bass extension and punch, they will be a backward step in all other areas. e.g. I'm considering Kef R300s as an upgrade from (or rather a sideways move that would provide more bass than) my DB1is.

Also, when you say you want standmounted speakers and don't have room for floorstanders, does that mean you have your speakers on a shelf or some other furniture? Because generally speakers on stands have pretty much the same footprint as floorstanding speakers.

DM_London

May 18, 2013
Visit site
The Db1s are on a bookshelf so not ideal but works ok for now. Kef r300 is too large to fit. What would be the weak point in my setup ?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
The only way is to demo. The Kandy will probably give you more bass but I did not find it the most open of amps. I agree with others that I would spend more on speakers. If you want bass then try the Dynaudio Excite X12s. Kef R100 maybe worth a punt.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
DM_London said:
The Db1s are on a bookshelf so not ideal but works ok for now. Kef r300 is too large to fit. What would be the weak point in my setup ?

I think that could be your problem, have you tried them on stands or even a chair to compare the difference. Remember if putting on a shelf some speakers don't perform that well against a wall.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Having speakers on bookshelves tends to compromise performance. I find that I lose some bass extension and get a flabbier mid-upper bass. This will probably mean that bassier speakers, like the 685s, will have boomy bass that isn't satisfactory either.

Because of the shape and construction of my living room I tend to have very uneven bass performance, and running a sealed sub with my DB1is gives me the best control over bass. It also gives me better extension than any standmount or even many floorstanders.

With a less than perfect listening room, no matter what advide you receive it is probably important for you to experiment with what works in your unique room.

DM_London

May 18, 2013
Visit site
So apart from speakers any other thoughts / suggestions? Feels like it makes sense to continue using sub + db1s. Would a new amp in the 500 - 800 range improve music. i can wire up the sub to receive 2 channel amp output and apply low pass filter. What about cd vs dac...I use spotify premium so can get the 320kbs steaming...

Lo Fi

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
For around £2000 you could have an Audiolab 8200cd player, Arcam FMJ A19 amplifier and Monitor Audio RX1 bookshelf speakers.
My system comprises the above but instead of the RX1s I have the RX6 floorstanders which give more bass.
I had the RX1s before and they would work a treat with the Arcam and Audiolab

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
If you get a dedicated 2 channel amp aren't you going to grow sick of switching cables on the db1s back and forth?

I agree with others about bass performance being badly ccompromised on shelves. I'd stick with a sub and small speakers for that reason.

The immediate change I'd make would be to rip all CDs to PC and put a good DAC between that and the 3312.

Next, I'd move house.

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I would obviously suggest auditioning, but i preferred the sound of the rega brio-r over the 8200A, so i would suggest, a brio-r, with rega DAC, keeping your cd player as transport, and then speakers - well, i can't make a bold recommendation as i havent heard too many, but the kef ls50's would be in budget if you dont buy cd player, and i would recommend listening to dynaudios. depending on how much bass you want you could go upsize to the dm 2/7's. I have these in a small room, and almost too much bass (i have to us the supplied foam plugs inserted into the bass ports to reduce boom). I hear the x12's are superb tho.

DM_London

May 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the posts. James I don't think moving house is an option! The db1s aren't on a bookshelf per se - more like a deep mantelpiece. So I don't think the bass is flabby just not deep enough - but I compensate that with my sub. Feels like an Amp + Dac is the better route given my cd transport should have a good enough optical reader. I will experiment a bit with speaker placement...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts