Upgrade to existing system (Primare / B&W)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am about to move house and have therefore started thinking about my current system and what improvements I may be able to make. I currently have a Primare CD31 and I30 pairing with balanced Atlas Navigator interconnects, playing through B&W CM7 speakers using Atlas Hyper 2 cable.

I'm looking for thoughts / advice regarding any areas of relative weakness or areas that could / should be looked at first?

I am toying with replacing the speakers, and have no preference for floorstanders or standmounts, but they would have to pass the family ‘visual acceptance’ test and probably be under £1,500. However, if there is something better to spend the money on I’m all ears!

In addition, I'm in the process of re-ripping my CD collection to FLAC format in the anticipation of multi-rooming my music, so, again, advice gratefully received.

A

Anonymous

Improvement wise, clarity and quality of sound. I've replaced the mains leads with Powerkords, but have never been sure the speakers are giving the CD/Amp the best chance to shine.

Ripped music wise, I'm planning to store it on a NAS and stream it to the current Primare, either using a Sonos system or equivalent media player and DAC. Sonos does come in more expensive but has more flexibility to multi-room it. I guess you're sold on the Sonos system?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have recently been looking at speakers around your budget and I don't know what sort of music you listen to or what you want from your music or how different speakers work with Primare amps but I would recommend a look at Proac Studio 140mk2.

I was originally thinking I would be getting cm8's which are a reasonable improvement over cm 7 but the Proac's were just better by miles in every area, a pair ex dem just went on ebay for £1000.

good luck anyway, have fun.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
RichS said:
Improvement wise, clarity and quality of sound. I've replaced the mains leads with Powerkords, but have never been sure the speakers are giving the CD/Amp the best chance to shine. Ripped music wise, I'm planning to store it on a NAS and stream it to the current Primare, either using a Sonos system or equivalent media player and DAC. Sonos does come in more expensive but has more flexibility to multi-room it. I guess you're sold on the Sonos system?

Hi Rich,

re Sonos: TBH I am sold on it, I think it's great. There are cheaper options out there for simple streaming of ripped music, but I doubt any are as easy to set up, or have the network stability of sonos, or give you the multiroom option down the line. For now, when I want a serious listen I still use CD on the CD31 as I ripped my music (and then only some of it) at 256k. I mostly use sonos with spotify premium, which is marvellous. I use the sonos' own dac, which is more than acceptable for how I use it, although there's a good upgrade path down the line. The only real down side with sonos is it won't play music above CD quality, if this is something that may be important to you in the future. It wasn't a deal breaker for me.

With your speakers, they're going to make a much bigger difference than changing power cords. To answer your original question, IMO speakers are the right thing to look at first. If I had £1500 to spend I would be buying a pair of ATC SCM19s or try and get a good deal on SCM40s. However, these very much seem to be 'marmite' speakers as some people don't like the honesty and accuracy they provide. They would certainly give a very different presentation from your B&W. However, IMO the Primare / ATC combo is hard to match in terms of detail, clarity, accuracy and musicality, for what those subjective words are worth. Other people will recommend different speakers: you need to do some demoing with Primare kit.

Cheers,
Ben.

SonofSun

Mar 11, 2010
Visit site
I have the same amp as yourself, and I briefly owned the massively hyped SCM19's. All I can say is that I kept my current speakers and could not possibly live with the ATC's. You will definitely need to demo the ATC's at home, can't really see what the fuss was all about myself. My opinion only, you may love them.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
SonofSun said:
I have the same amp as yourself, and I briefly owned the massively hyped SCM19's. All I can say is that I kept my current speakers and could not possibly live with the ATC's.

Fair enough. This is why I described them as 'marmite' speakers and recommended the OP demo for himself with Primare kit. Lots of great options and a great budget
smiley-smile.gif

A

Anonymous

Yes, if only I had enough time to test them all!

Phase 3 in Southampton (my local sage) highly recommends the Canton SL580's (which look great incidently) but I've yet to test them out.

My other option is to move the pure CD audio bit into a different room (to be negotiated) and have a surround sound system that can handle audio (maybe B&W MT-25 system). Controversial I know, but it's all good kit!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I have only briefly heard Canton speakers (I can't remember which model) and they sounded good. Can't see any reason why they wouldn't work with Primare, it will be worth a demo. Doesn't look like there will be too much to compare with at that shop, but I see there is also a Sevenoaks nearby.

I think you would be disappointed with music playback with the MT-25, although this may not be a problem if you have a separate stereo system elsewhere. Also, from another thread in this forum it seems B&W are shortly to replace the speakers in that package.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. I actually like the fact that you can't have surround sound and top notch audio sound from the same system. If you could we'd all have it!

You're right, Phase 3 do have their preferred suppliers, but they have been fantastic in the past with loaning equipment whilst yours arrives etc. I took home a nice Meridian set whilst the Primares arrived just so i wouldn't be lonely!

I thought the MT's would disappoint in pure music terms, but to be honest I've always had a slightly underwhelming response to my existing kit when showing it to friends etc. The Primare certainly needs volume to really excel and I can't always give it that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts