Question Upgrade from old B&W DM602 to …

Wawrzek

Apr 2, 2023
Visit site
Hello,

I would like to ask for advice with selection of bookshelf speakers 8Ohm, at least 88 dB price circa 1.5 k€ or more if needed. Can be bulky, shape doesn’t matter. Preferably “true” with focus in scene and single instruments, decent bass but without artificial hidden midrange (like many TV dedicated sets).

I use Marantz PM6010 OSE KI, main place for listening circa 3.5m from speakers but the whole area is about 35 sqm (open kitchen). Genre: variety mainly Indie rock, jazz, R&B,
soul. I don’t watch movies not mentioning TV.
So far have shortlisted Triangle comete 40 anniversary and Goldenear Technology BRX.

Happy to follow your advice

Hello,

I would like to ask for advice with selection of bookshelf speakers 8Ohm, at least 88 dB price circa 1.5 k€ or more if needed. Can be bulky, shape doesn’t matter. Preferably “true” with focus in scene and single instruments, decent bass but without artificial hidden midrange (like many TV dedicated sets).

I use Marantz PM6010 OSE KI, main place for listening circa 3.5m from speakers but the whole area is about 35 sqm (open kitchen). Genre: variety mainly Indie rock, jazz, R&B,
soul. I don’t watch movies not mentioning TV.
So far have shortlisted Triangle comete 40 anniversary and Goldenear Technology BRX.

Happy to follow your advice
Welcome to the madhouse.

Firstly, what did you make of the Triangles and Goldenear speakers?

I would look at something such as Focal, Monitor Audio Silvers for starters.

Wawrzek

Apr 2, 2023
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse.

Firstly, what did you make of the Triangles and Goldenear speakers?

I would look at something such as Focal, Monitor Audio Silvers for starters.

Thank you !
Selection based only on reviews. I considered Monitor Audio Silver 100 7G -cheaper option nevertheless lower efficiency and first of all not so good review when there are too many instruments (I like “sound walls” like albums by Bill Laswell).
Focal - either 4Ohm or for smalker rooms like Chora 806. Not sure if it would be an upgrade from my current speakers. Maybe I don’t see all options

Thank you !
Selection based only on reviews. I considered Monitor Audio Silver 100 7G -cheaper option nevertheless lower efficiency and first of all not so good review when there are too many instruments (I like “sound walls” like albums by Bill Laswell).
Focal - either 4Ohm or for smalker rooms like Chora 806. Not sure if it would be an upgrade from my current speakers. Maybe I don’t see all options
To be honest the MA Silver 100 7g 89.5 db into 8 ohms and the Focal Aria are similar. But you'll hardly notice a decibel less.

How did you get on with the Triangles and Goldenears? The reason for asking, although both your amp and speakers are still very good, they are quite old and both can be bettered

Wawrzek

Apr 2, 2023
Visit site
To be honest the MA Silver 100 7g 89.5 db into 8 ohms and the Focal Aria are similar. But you'll hardly notice a decibel less.

How did you get on with the Triangles and Goldenears? The reason for asking, although both your amp and speakers are still very good, they are quite old and both can be bettered

I need another set for other flat and I plan to buy Bluesound Powernode and use my old DM602. So I need new speakers not amplifier. I have reviewed set of tests and itis my outcome. I am not sure if it is a good choice so I ask for advice

Wawrzek

Apr 2, 2023
Visit site
Thank you for guidance! I have checked both Aria an Monitor Audio. Additionally JBL, Klipsch RP-600M, Sonus Faber Lumina II and Soneto. Nothing has impressed me so decided to increase the budget and are more than happy with Pylon Jasper Monitors.

Reactions: Rui

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
Thank you for guidance! I have checked both Aria an Monitor Audio. Additionally JBL, Klipsch RP-600M, Sonus Faber Lumina II and Soneto. Nothing has impressed me so decided to increase the budget and are more than happy with Pylon Jasper Monitors.

Why did they not impress you? How did you listen to them? There are some good speakers there.

I don’t know how well your amp performs, it is an old one. I would suggest that you don’t need to increase your budget, just look around more.

An alternative suggestion is to buy a modern integrated amp with built in DAC and some not so expensive speakers. I recently bought Kef LS50 Meta speakers and an AudioLab 6000a amp, which work together well and sound excellent, £1,500 as a package in the UK. IMO these speakers outperform my PMC speakers, and the current version of them which cost twice the price of the Kefs. There are other good speakers and amps too. And if you buy a package, you often get a significant price saving. And IMO price is not a good guide to speaker performance.

Another advantage of a modern amp with built in DAC is that you can get a cheap Wiim Mini streamer and connect it to the amps digital input.

Wawrzek

Apr 2, 2023
Visit site
I have spent two hours in the shop checking which speakers fit my amplifier the best - in total 5 or 6 sets. Some were for me good, some so-so and only one awesome. My old DM602 are for me really good and I wanted to change them with something significantly better .
Doubtlessly with better or just another amplifier maybe I would decide to buy Aria (great density, reach sound, dynamic -with my amplifier voices were not so clear) or JBL (very clear, detail sound, I would buy if drums were more dynamic). F

Rui

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I am from Poland.
I was convinced that in whole EU prices are more or less the same.
hello ,i would keep the speakers or try to buy in the second hand market ,the prices are smaller and you can get better sounding speakers with a 1/3 of the money also other components you might need ,last week i looked at Ebay and i found there a sansui amplifier for 120€ in perfect condition that today you would pay more than a 1.000€ and not half the sound quality or power, cd players the same ,till 200€ one can find a better than a 500€ or more, cd player and at least you know it´s good for decades more if it works perfect after almost 20 years. JBL is in my opinion one of the best speaker brands world wide but those are expensive as hell, wharfedale are now chinese other good brand gone to hell as KEF and Celestion did in early 90´s and their quality droped a lot from good sounding speakers to aceptable one´s , the B&W are still good but i listened to some new mission speakers that i don´t know their price but if not having so many speakers i would have bought them . if you think prices are the same all over Europe ,there would be most of the country´s without any owner of a hi-fi component ,compact systems rule, a nice litle wooden speakers a radio and a dvd player are what is most sold , under the brands Yamaha or Denon as an example. All options are good if they sound as you expected, regards

TRENDING THREADS