Upgrade to BX2 questions

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi all,

I currently run some old Kef 2005's through a Denon 1911. I've got a small bonus coming my way shortly so wanted to upgrade. I want to add the BX2 left and right and the BX centre, keeping the Kefs as rears (and eventually moving to 7.1 with the now spare eggs) . So my questions are:

1) Will there be a noticeable mis-match between front and rear?

2) Is it worth bi-wiring them?

3) When setting them up on the amp, are they still "small" speakers?

As always, thanks in advance for your help.

scene

In reverse order:

3) Yes

2) Opinions vary on this

1) See my signature! I started with a 2005.2 system and upgraded the centre to an RS-LCR, then I found this didn't quite gel, so used my old stereo pair (the MA Silver 8is) as L&R, this was great at the front, but the rears... So I ended up with a pair of MA RXFX. Now sounds much, much better... (But I hanker after some RX6s... ;) )

So caveat emptor... :)

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Scene,

new rears are out until we move house and I can give them some space - although I'll probably still fall foul of the aesthetics Police on that one. I was hoping that adding the centre from the same range would negate most of the difference.

scene

Don't get me wrong, when I was using the MAs for the front three they were great and as, according to most, 85% of AV sound come from the front three, really upped the ante as far as AV enjoyment was concerned Chez Scene :) Additionally, having a pair of fully qualified stereo speakers for the front pair, rather than sats, does improve two-channel music massively. To be fair to the eggs, I think part of the problem was the size of my living room - at the best part of 5.8x6.3m, they just couldn't fill it enough. They may well have been better if run 7.1.

So to conclude this rambling, I think if you're going to upgrade the front pair, definitely get the matching centre, as this will give you an integrated front soundstage. Yes, there will be a slight mismatch in regards to effects moving around the entire soundstage, but this depends on the size of your room (to some extent) and how well the Denon compensates for differences in speakers - which I believe is really quite well.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks again Scene,

here's a reward for you
smiley-laughing.gif

blue%20peter-150x150.jpg

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Personally, I'd save up for the KEF Q100 fronts and Q200 centre....

Yes, they are more money, but at least you'll have a similar styled tweeter running throughout all 5 speakers.....thus minimising the chance of mismatch from front to rear......

A

Anonymous

I would just go for it, then if you wish in the future upgrade then go for it

I have bx2 and they sound great but theyre a big set of speakers

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Very happy so far
smiley-laughing.gif

I'm still playing with crossover points as Audyssey always sets them as "large" so I'm trying to find the sweet spot.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
So, after a weekend of running them in, they sound fantastic. Bass sounds tight, and the sub only kicks in for the slam of explosions and so on. The difference from running a sat/sub combination is night and day - or at least the sat/sub I've been used to.

I need to get them up on stands this weekend now to help even further. For now, the grills are on the left and right to help them blend in to the room (my wife thinks they're too big) with the centre un-grilled in all it's glory.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts