Upgrade to Alpha 8 ?

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have posted before and was looking to upgrade my Alpha 5 to a 9 but they are / have been hard to get with phono stage for reasonable money.

I was looking at the Alpha 8 and was wondering if anyone knew if this would be a worthwhile upgrade from my Alpha 5.
Also would the power amp be a good addition bearing in mind i can not bi amp my speakers, Mission 720's.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated ,

Thanks again

Either one would be an improvement. The Alpha 8 is a good amp most ways: Due to its higher wattage it'll give you more control over the 5. Likewise a power amp to the Alpha 5 will give similar results: Put a power amp to an 8 would be even better...
smiley-wink.gif

A

Anonymous

I owned alpha 8r back in the day, it's a fantastic amp, i had it paired with B&W 601 series 2 and a marantz ose cdp, loved that system, i am sure you will be very happy with it and as Penguin said you can add the arcam 8 power amp.

Rob998

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I currently own an 8R & an 8P. The 8R on it's own is a very good amp, the addition of an 8P makes it even more so, a really worthwhile upgrade to my ears but then my Triangles do have enough binding posts to bi-amp.

If you enjoy the sound of your 5, you will really enjoy an 8.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Thanks for the views, was hoping for that kind of response, I really enjoy my Alpha 5 but i know a bit more oomph with the same character will get far more out of my speakers.

If I can may look to the power amp as the Missions loved being on the end of my caspian , could hear the difference to them with the extra power.

Has anyone heard the marantz pm 6004 , I wonder how the newer tech would compare with the 8?

Just curious , thanks for the opinions, much appreciated.

Shanka said:
Hi, Thanks for the views, was hoping for that kind of response, I really enjoy my Alpha 5 but i know a bit more oomph with the same character will get far more out of my speakers. If I can may look to the power amp as the Missions loved being on the end of my caspian , could hear the difference to them with the extra power. Has anyone heard the marantz pm 6004 , I wonder how the newer tech would compare with the 8? Just curious , thanks for the opinions, much appreciated.

I think the Marantz will give you a totally different presentation: The Marantz will probably dig a little more detail, but with the right power amp with the Arcam it'll be as good, if slightly different.

The biggest issue is whether the Missions will be better matched with Arcam or Marantz? Synergy is everything IMO.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I have had the arcam running with my Missions for 15 years and never had any issues with the sound, just listening and enjoying.
It was only the foam breaking down on the cones that lead me putting them into a temporary retirement.

I only heard Marantz amps in the early 80's and was never personally impressed, might of been a pm310, can't be sure, and a recent test with a pearl lite but that sounded a little lite for my tastes.

When I got my Arcam that was such an improvement over my previous Rotel that never really thrilled me either and was always happy with the overall presentation and always liked the warmth and depth of sound with the alpha. Anyway covered this before somewhere,

Thanks again

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

After just writing the previous thread I checked to see if the Marantz was a PM310 by googling and found this interesting transformer upgrade .

http://www.austech.info/electronics/62749-marantz-pm310-amplifier-power-supply.html

Very resourceful these aussies.

maybe I should get my coat...........................

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts