• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Upgrade time, fun time

FahadAhmed

New member
Dec 26, 2012
25
0
0
Last year, I was planning on upgrading my project debut with a Ortofon 2M Blue and good platter. But ended up buying a Parasound pre-power setup. Cost a lot more but I say it was worth it *biggrin*

They dont have too many hi fi options where I live, but I will be travelling soon. Now new cart and platter are still on the cards, but I was thinking of going all out and get a new turntable like Rega RP3, or maybe Pioneer PLX 1000 with decent cart.

So what do you guys suggest?
 

jjbomber

Well-known member
Dec 22, 2006
683
226
19,270
FahadAhmed said:
get a new turntable like Rega RP3, or maybe Pioneer PLX 1000 with decent cart.

So what do you guys suggest?
Two very different options there. I imagine almost everyone would say the Rega. The Pioneer is a direct drive unit, so there will be a quiet hum from the direct drive motor. If you are playing Metallica at full volume, it will not matter at all. If you listen to classical music with quiet passages, it will drive you mad. So it is a personal choice. I had a PL400X many years ago, playing loud all day, and I never heard the motor at all.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
FahadAhmed said:
Last year, I was planning on upgrading my project debut with a Ortofon 2M Blue and good platter. But ended up buying a Parasound pre-power setup. Cost a lot more but I say it was worth it *biggrin*

They dont have too many hi fi options where I live, but I will be travelling soon. Now new cart and platter are still on the cards, but I was thinking of going all out and get a new turntable like Rega RP3, or maybe Pioneer PLX 1000 with decent cart.

So what do you guys suggest?
I would save up some more and get something better than the Rega RP3. Don't know the Pioneer but I tend to avoid direct drive.
 

Al ears

Moderator
Out of the two the Rega. It's a well worked design although basic it's pretty foolproof as long as you isolate it sufficiently. The tonearm is class. Just try to get a really good cartridge like a Nagaoka. I never got on with the cheaper Ortofons.
 

DougK

Well-known member
Dec 8, 2013
764
455
11,270
I had a Project DC and then bought a PLX1000. The Pioneer sounded better than the Project. I was given the heads-up by a forum member about a Marantz TT15S1 going for a good price from a Dutch retailer so I jumped at it. With the same cartridge fitted (2M Black) to both turntables there was absolutely no contest; the Marantz easily surpassed the Pioneer by a huge margin in every conceivable area, except aesthetics - the Pioneer is a very handsome beast. At the time of my purchase the prices of these decks were actually not that different once you factor in the need to source a decent cart for the PLX1000; the Marantz comes with a very decent bundled cart.

Had a lot of trouble with the Pioneer - wobbly platter, loose tonearm gimbal bearings and flaking paint on the tonearm. Pioneer were not the least bit interested in my gripes so they lost me as a future customer. The Pioneer is just a pimped version of the various Technics direct-drive clones made by Hanpin, from the AT LP-5 to the Reloop and Stanton, etc. Having said that I still cannot part with the Pioneer, it's a very attractive piece of kit.

So if I had to choose between your two options my head would say Rega all the way.
 

rainsoothe

Well-known member
Apr 30, 2012
356
136
19,070
How's about the New Rega Planar 3, since you can upgrade it later with the Rega Power supply? Some dealers even pack it with Ortofon 2M Blue, if you want that. Otherwise, if you can up the budget, VPI Traveler (some stock is still available) is great, and so is the Clearaudio Concept.

Parasound pre-power - nice one, btw :)

Also, I have the AT LP5, and there is absolutely zero hum. Either that, or the hiss coming out of my Naims is covering it all up :p
 

FahadAhmed

New member
Dec 26, 2012
25
0
0
[/quote]

Two very different options there. I imagine almost everyone would say the Rega. The Pioneer is a direct drive unit, so there will be a quiet hum from the direct drive motor. If you are playing Metallica at full volume, it will not matter at all. If you listen to classical music with quiet passages, it will drive you mad. So it is a personal choice. I had a PL400X many years ago, playing loud all day, and I never heard the motor at all.

[/quote]

Well I do play a ot of Slayer and Sabbath, but also a lot of acoustic stuff and humming is not something I can live with. So I guess Rega would make more sense.
 

FahadAhmed

New member
Dec 26, 2012
25
0
0
BigH said:
FahadAhmed said:
Last year, I was planning on upgrading my project debut with a Ortofon 2M Blue and good platter. But ended up buying a Parasound pre-power setup. Cost a lot more but I say it was worth it *biggrin*

They dont have too many hi fi options where I live, but I will be travelling soon. Now new cart and platter are still on the cards, but I was thinking of going all out and get a new turntable like Rega RP3, or maybe Pioneer PLX 1000 with decent cart.

So what do you guys suggest?
I would save up some more and get something better than the Rega RP3. Don't know the Pioneer but I tend to avoid direct drive.
A better one would be a $1,000 more I guess (have Rega Rp6 on my mind)
 

FahadAhmed

New member
Dec 26, 2012
25
0
0
Al ears said:
Out of the two the Rega. It's a well worked design although basic it's pretty foolproof as long as you isolate it sufficiently. The tonearm is class. Just try to get a really good cartridge like a Nagaoka. I never got on with the cheaper Ortofons.
I used Nagaoka MP 110 with my revious turntable, it was quite good. But I think Elys 2 upgrade would require a more "high end" nagaoka.
 

FahadAhmed

New member
Dec 26, 2012
25
0
0
DougK said:
I had a Project DC and then bought a PLX1000. The Pioneer sounded better than the Project. I was given the heads-up by a forum member about a Marantz TT15S1 going for a good price from a Dutch retailer so I jumped at it. With the same cartridge fitted (2M Black) to both turntables there was absolutely no contest; the Marantz easily surpassed the Pioneer by a huge margin in every conceivable area, except aesthetics - the Pioneer is a very handsome beast. At the time of my purchase the prices of these decks were actually not that different once you factor in the need to source a decent cart for the PLX1000; the Marantz comes with a very decent bundled cart.

Had a lot of trouble with the Pioneer - wobbly platter, loose tonearm gimbal bearings and flaking paint on the tonearm. Pioneer were not the least bit interested in my gripes so they lost me as a future customer. The Pioneer is just a pimped version of the various Technics direct-drive clones made by Hanpin, from the AT LP-5 to the Reloop and Stanton, etc. Having said that I still cannot part with the Pioneer, it's a very attractive piece of kit.

So if I had to choose between your two options my head would say Rega all the way.
Thanks, so Pioneer is out. I have to admit, the aesthetic appeal of the Pioneer made me consider it as an option in the first place
 

FahadAhmed

New member
Dec 26, 2012
25
0
0
rainsoothe said:
How's about the New Rega Planar 3, since you can upgrade it later with the Rega Power supply? Some dealers even pack it with Ortofon 2M Blue, if you want that. Otherwise, if you can up the budget, VPI Traveler (some stock is still available) is great, and so is the Clearaudio Concept.

Parasound pre-power - nice one, btw :)

Also, I have the AT LP5, and there is absolutely zero hum. Either that, or the hiss coming out of my Naims is covering it all up :p
Planar 3, I saw the review on WHF, never seen one in flesh though. Is it really a very different?
 

FahadAhmed

New member
Dec 26, 2012
25
0
0
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi FahadAhmed

Just read this thread. If you're not in a hurry then the new Pro-Ject The Classic 25th Anniversary turntable is also worth bearing in mind. Shouldn't be too long before it's available.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Wow that turntable looks gorgeous, with a cart, might be around $500 more than the RP3.
 

Al ears

Moderator
FahadAhmed said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi FahadAhmed

Just read this thread. If you're not in a hurry then the new Pro-Ject The Classic 25th Anniversary turntable is also worth bearing in mind. Shouldn't be too long before it's available.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft
Wow that turntable looks gorgeous, with a cart, might be around $500 more than the RP3.
Only £174 more expensive than the new Planar 3 and reminds me of the old LP12, what's not to like?
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
FahadAhmed said:
BigH said:
FahadAhmed said:
Last year, I was planning on upgrading my project debut with a Ortofon 2M Blue and good platter. But ended up buying a Parasound pre-power setup. Cost a lot more but I say it was worth it *biggrin*

They dont have too many hi fi options where I live, but I will be travelling soon. Now new cart and platter are still on the cards, but I was thinking of going all out and get a new turntable like Rega RP3, or maybe Pioneer PLX 1000 with decent cart.

So what do you guys suggest?
I would save up some more and get something better than the Rega RP3. Don't know the Pioneer but I tend to avoid direct drive.
A better one would be a $1,000 more I guess (have Rega Rp6 on my mind)
Which country you are in? I was thinking more Clearaudio than RP6. Not sure how much difference there is now between the Planar 3 and RP6, I did hear the Planar 3 last week, can't say I was that impressed but could have been the speakers. The Marantz that was mentioned above was made by Clearaudio. If you want a RP3, then you should be able to get a bargain as its been replaced, so look out for ex. demo ones. For me there a ? over Rega quality control, heard numerous problems from users and the dealer said he had been problems also, if I was not in UK I would be wary about buying Rega.
 

drummerman

New member
Jan 18, 2008
540
1
0
Two very different options there. I imagine almost everyone would say the Rega. The Pioneer is a direct drive unit, so there will be a quiet hum from the direct drive motor. If you are playing Metallica at full volume, it will not matter at all. If you listen to classical music with quiet passages, it will drive you mad. So it is a personal choice. I had a PL400X many years ago, playing loud all day, and I never heard the motor at all.

[/quote]

Well I do play a ot of Slayer and Sabbath, but also a lot of acoustic stuff and humming is not something I can live with. So I guess Rega would make more sense.

[/quote]

Well, you'll probably trade a little hum for speed instability :)

However, I think these Hanpins are just cheaply made clones of the original 1210 with the tonearms being the weakest part.

+1 for the Rega and add PSU.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
drummerman said:
Two very different options there. I imagine almost everyone would say the Rega. The Pioneer is a direct drive unit, so there will be a quiet hum from the direct drive motor. If you are playing Metallica at full volume, it will not matter at all. If you listen to classical music with quiet passages, it will drive you mad. So it is a personal choice. I had a PL400X many years ago, playing loud all day, and I never heard the motor at all.
Well I do play a ot of Slayer and Sabbath, but also a lot of acoustic stuff and humming is not something I can live with. So I guess Rega would make more sense.

[/quote]

Well, you'll probably trade a little hum for speed instability :)

However, I think these Hanpins are just cheaply made clones of the original 1210 with the tonearms being the weakest part.

+1 for the Rega and add PSU.

[/quote]

Is that correct? Wow and Flutter figures seem better on belt drive than direct drives. Less vibration problems also. Think the plinth and platters can be a weak point also on some of those DDs. Weak point on Rega is probably the wiring.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS