Upgrade streaming source for Naim SuperNait

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I think "ripped off" is approprate. Check this out for dealer logic because believe me there is much more to my days spent with a Naim dealer than I have communicated so far:

I cannot distinguish between an NDX or Sonos going through an NDX nor did the dealer pretend he could discern a difference either. He then went on to suggest that the Sonos would perform much better if I were to purchase it with a SuperNait whereby I could bypass the DAC in the Sonos and use the inbuilt DAC in the SuperNait. Now remember, the NDX and the Sonos sound the same through the XS it therefore follows from what the dealer said that the Sonos/SuperNait combination is going to sound superior to the NDX/XS Combo. NDX/XS = £4490 (+£400 for an ipad to control it) or the (apparently) superior sounding Sonos/Supernait £3005. Why was the dealer trying to sell me a more expensive inferior system one day and then a cheaper much better system the next? Yes that's right, he'd never compared the Sonos to an NDX before.

I could rant on and on but from this experience one can't help feeling it's all smoke and mirrors.

A

Anonymous

I've never worked out how a £5 part becomes thousands of pounds worth of DAC, Ok I know you need an output buffer but the whole shebang must have a bill of materials of £30 tops.

Then again any company's marketing department who can sell mains cord for over £400 deserves a five star rating...

One day I'll pitch my Behringer DAC against the Naim one, at £115 I reckon the laws of physics won't know about the marketing, as it can't read ;)

Rich27

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't think I am disagreeing with you, find a decent dealer, one that will actually listen to what you want without trying to sell you things you don't want or need!

I have never heard an XS amp but using good quality files streamed via upnp to an NDX connected via analogue to a Supernait is clearly better than the same files via Sonos connected digitally to a Supernait.

By the way you will still need something to control the Sonos, either their own controller or an iphone/ipad running their app.

SteveR750

Globs said:
I've never worked out how a £5 part becomes thousands of pounds worth of DAC, Ok I know you need an output buffer but the whole shebang must have a bill of materials of £30 tops.

Then again any company's marketing department who can sell mains cord for over £400 deserves a five star rating...

One day I'll pitch my Behringer DAC against the Naim one, at £115 I reckon the laws of physics won't know about the marketing, as it can't read ;)

Mont Blanc pen anyone?

I was looking at Clearer Audios "clearance sale" earlier. How anyone would pay over a grand for 5m of cable frankly needs locking up, unless you are the procurement officer for NASA. Alas, it's true that price is the best indicator of perceived quality.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts