upgrade steps

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

i want to upgrade my speakers, but i also need a dac, because i only use my laptop for music.

now, what should i do first?

1: buy a good dac and wait for the speakers

2: buy a cheap dac + some average speakers (wharfedale 10.2 or zensor 1 or kef iq30)

3: buy just the speakers mentions above?

i'm not in a hurry

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
hi

i saw you threat on my other post, the problem is that i can't audition a lot of brand in my region (belgium), i know that i'm not going to begin with cd's or sacd. just digital.

i already have a marantz pm6004, and have someone who wants to buy my b&w m1's. i just don't know what the right steps are? selling the amp too? and buy an old marantz 1090 or something, i'm constantly looking for other alternatives.

so i agree with you that choosing a speaker is subjective, BUT is it the right move for me? i don't know if you understand my situation, rather complicated, if you have questions, pls ask

thank you for the reply

I would seriously consider active speakers in your situation. Ideal for computer-based music, clean, no-fuss option. Perhaps something like these:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/acoustic-energy-ae22-active

There are many other brands at all price levels. They generally have a dac built-in and an amp. I've not heard actives but many people absolutely sing their praises.

If you want to keep to the traditional set-up, what brands are local to you?

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the active option

for amps, there are generaly marantz, nad, denon, yamaha, but you can find rarely a top brand like naim, atoll,..

for speakers b&w, dali, wharfedale, anton, monitor audio, audio vector,..

the only reason that i'm staying in traditional setup, is that i want to have he option for future expansion to for example 2.1 or 3.1 setup with a reciever. (i already have a subwoofer, an active one from denon).

so the things that i already have, make my decision very hard, for example the subwoofer that i have, or the amp....

i hope i helped you with your upcomming advice

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Are you currently running the headphone out of your computer into your amp?

My thoughts are that I'd buy speakers (I'd look at something like B&W 685s, Monitor Audio BX2 or Kef Q300 or R100) and then look into getting a DAC. Many people claim a very cheap DAC would be fine, but personally I'd like something around the price of the rDac.

Then again, with the new Marantz PM6005 coming out, you could get an amp and DAC in one if you were prepared to wait and upgrade.

http://www.whathifi.com/news/marantz-updates-melody-range-with-new-models-replaces-classic-6004-series-cd-player-and-amplifi

alializadeh said:
thanks for the active option

for amps, there are generaly marantz, nad, denon, yamaha, but you can find rarely a top brand like naim, atoll,..

for speakers b&w, dali, wharfedale, anton, monitor audio, audio vector,..

the only reason that i'm staying in traditional setup, is that i want to have he option for future expansion to for example 2.1 or 3.1 setup with a reciever. (i already have a subwoofer, an active one from denon).

so the things that i already have, make my decision very hard, for example the subwoofer that i have, or the amp....

i hope i helped you with your upcomming advice

Thanks for that info.

Okay... personally I'd upgrade the speakers first. Your Marantz is a very capable machine. I'd look at, as ID suggested, B&W 685, Wharfedale 121s, and MA BX2s. You'll get very different presentation from all of these so listen to them before buying is essential.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
+1 for the recommedation for actives

I personally found the marantz pm6004 and BX2 combination overly bright with no 'soul' which goes to show how we all like different things when it comes to hi-fi.

Upgrading the speakers will give you the most gains. Most DACs sound more or less the same so get a cheap one later.

alializadeh

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
ok, so you are sure the first step is the speakers? ok, than a dac? i can get a hrt music streamer pro for 250 euros+ 75 for the balanced xlr cable. or just go for what you mentioned? ik never heard of it before, and never saw a review of it :/

anyhow, tomorrow i will be testing some speakers and i can finaly decide wich one to pick. i hope they have the iq30, because i only saw good reviews of it. any experience?

but thanks a lot fo the reply of my stupid uestions, sorry for that, just a newbie unfortunatly

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
alializadeh said:
ok, so you are sure the first step is the speakers? ok, than a dac? i can get a hrt music streamer pro for 250 euros+ 75 for the balanced xlr cable. or just go for what you mentioned? ik never heard of it before, and never saw a review of it :/

anyhow, tomorrow i will be testing some speakers and i can finaly decide wich one to pick. i hope they have the iq30, because i only saw good reviews of it. any experience?

but thanks a lot fo the reply of my stupid uestions, sorry for that, just a newbie unfortunatly

It quite new and most hifi mags don't promote this sort of thing, I think there are a few reviews on that site I linked. Noexperience of the IQ30s, just go with an open mind, try not to be influenced by reviews or salesmen.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts