Upgrade path

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

insider9

QuestForThe13thNote said:
insider9 said:
Yes, but like Nopiano said I wouldn't overlook the financial interest. You just happen to like the presentation.

As an example look at recent acquisition of Roksan by Monitor Audio. You've heard the combination yourself... How many people that come on here would receive that pairing as recommendation? I can't think of many if any at all. Then there's Naim & Focal... How many would say Focal with Naim straight away?

i heard the roksan and monitor audio pairing at the latest show I went to and it was bright and I’d use the term reservedly for the very harsh brightest of pairings. But it was the kandy amps and basic monitor audios, so it could just have been a very bad pairing and with a different ma, conceivably different and ok? But it depends on budgets as well doesn’t it. If you use the best monitor audio and roksan you possibly can’t expect to apply the sound as being the same sound signature as a basic roksan and monitor audio speaker, surely? No hard and fast rules accross a range.

thats what slightly confuses me with some peoples attitudes to some brands. They may think the budget or midrange stuff of that brand is not great compared to others, and they’d be right with their views, but go to the top of that ‘poor’ manufactures range, and it can be another matter. It’s probably why I’d never buy a budget marantz but I would have their top stuff!

I tend to think that it often depends on the exact speakers as different speakers can vary in the range like the pmc twenty and twenty5 range and the fact 3s, 8s and 12s are more like more of the twenty range.

Naim and focal is I suspect a good pairing if you put the really decent naim stuff with focal id say, as they are both very good and their respective qualities compliment. I wouldn’t mismatch like they were doing with the naim nova and focal speakers at indulgence. That sounded horrible.

Point I was making that often financial interest is the driving factor and if it happens that it produces good sound it's a bonus.

As to brand perception you're not suggsesting that I need to hear Grand Utopia + Naim Statement to know what Naim and Focal combo sounds like?

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

If it sounds good at premium level it should sell and that’s what substantiates its price. If it doesn’t sound good people buy elsewhere, it’s price drops.

In a way yes I was suggesting that re naim and focal because people Seldom have or listen to £15k plus naim stuff and similar in speakers, or maybe less in speakers, to know what the combos sounds like together. Pmc twenty5 and naim amps and sources around £20k sounded sublime and totally different sound to twenty5 with sub £5k naim stuff. Ie the sound isn’t often uniformly the same sound signature throughout the range, as the better amps do lots of things like dynamics, detail, etc etc, much more realistically. You can’t compare the two as similar.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Q

QuestForThe13thNote

Thanks for the info. How wasn’t it your thing. What amps and speakers if you can remember.

I’m going to a cyrus day on Saturday at Audio t Southampton, to check out how it works on a range of new speakers. The shop guys there are very friendly indeed. Different set ups for different prices. I’m more interested in the synergy than anything but might upgrade a cyrus psx-r power supply to psx-r2, as get a good event discount.

Ill hapilly post back. Ps I’m not getting paid anything!! Lol.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the info. How wasn’t it your thing. What amps and speakers if you can remember.

I’m going to a cyrus day on Saturday at Audio t Southampton, to check out how it works on a range of new speakers. The shop guys there are very friendly indeed. Different set ups for different prices. I’m more interested in the synergy than anything but might upgrade a cyrus psx-r power supply to psx-r2, as get a good event discount.

Ill hapilly post back. Ps I’m not getting paid anything!! Lol.

If you read the first link, I described why I didn't like the sound.

If you read the second link, you will see in detail (incl photos + lists of equipment), what Neil thought...he does this for a living....ie. writing blogs on hifi shows.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Yes that’s true nopiano and using avm and Bryston at shows to show off their own speakers. But they would have had to have selected avm and Bryston based on listening to them, from many amp brands, to try and show off their own speakers to best effect. So commercial considerations aside from importing I think you can draw a credible parallel that pmc use these types of amps for the sq they give, areas they major on, for a sound quality reason in conjunction for use with getting best out of their speakers. Not that all other amps can’t be used, but my point was the sound quality trademark of the amp is what they are deciding on. Lots of detail etc.

the pmc cor amp is more of a anaologue sounding mid range premium audiophile type amp that will appeal to lots of people who like such a sound and will not necessarily be using it just with pmc (unless you like smooth plus smooth). I reckon pmc clearly brought that out to suit this smooth taste and their own brand reputation, for hi Fi at the budget to mid range end of a premium audiophile set up. That’s why they don’t demo the cor in the ‘main best centre stage demo’ set ups at shows. It kind of suits the smooth sounding hi Fi appeal commonly not used with the best detailed amps you get when you get to the likes of the avm 8.2. But the cor on a set of fact 8s or twenty 5 speakers is not anywhere as good as the avm 8.2 unsurprisingly for areas like dynamics, detail etc. Also avm 5.2 on twenty5 is better than the cor too in these areas. Just depends on taste too. Similar priced amps I think around £5k.

Please explain how 'a more analogue sounding amp', sounds?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts