Upgrade marantz pm6005

Ronaldka

Mar 4, 2022
Visit site
Hi all.
totally new here…
Current set up i have is this marantz pm6005 & B&W 685S2.

I was wondering if the NAD c368 would be a good and hearable upgrade. Next upgrade would be the speakers.
I’m looking for some more details/clarity in the sound.
I first looked at cambridge cxa61 and 81, but need a phono in and also possibilty for 4 speakers

Thanks for advise

Hi all.
totally new here…

I was wondering if the NAD c368 would be a good and hearable upgrade. Next upgrade would be the speakers.
I first looked at cambridge cxa61 and 81, but need a phono in and also possibilty for 4 speakers

Thanks for advise
Perhaps if detail and clarity are what you are after you should upgrade the speakers first?
What sources are you using? What I mean is do you need the inbuilt DAC.
can you audition that NAD with your speakers?

Reactions: Basso

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
I would look to upgrade the speakers or turntable first, or at least consider the cartridge. A new amp is not going to make the source any better. The PM6005 is a capable amp.

Also ensure the turntable is set up to get the best from it and that the speakers are positioned to let them do their thing. Sometimes a simple adjustment of tracking weight or tweak in speaker positioning can make all the difference.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious. If you have explored all this then try to audition a new turntable or speakers.

Reactions: gasolin

Ronaldka

Mar 4, 2022
Visit site
I would look to upgrade the speakers or turntable first, or at least consider the cartridge. A new amp is not going to make the source any better. The PM6005 is a capable amp.

Also ensure the turntable is set up to get the best from it and that the speakers are positioned to let them do their thing. Sometimes a simple adjustment of tracking weight or tweak in speaker positioning can make all the difference.

Apologies if I am stating the obvious. If you have explored all this then try to audition a new turntable or speakers.
Set up turntable should be ok , but indeed speaker positioning can be optimized. These are bookshelfs , not always easy… Will do some changes.
thanks for advise

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Changing one component in a price matched system always brings 'problems' but a good amplifier frees future speaker choice up.

If you'd like a nice pair of speakers which last a few upgrades head over to PFM, I have a pair of Stirling LS3/6 Ltd Editions for sale 😉

Ronaldka

Mar 4, 2022
Visit site
Changing one component in a price matched system always brings 'problems' but a good amplifier frees future speaker choice up.

agree! then, Would the c368 be a good choice?

Basso

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
That Marantz amp will drive “better” speakers. I really think you are looking at the wrong part of the equation.
Just don’t pull the trigger on a purchase until you identify what you actually need to change to achieve the sound you want. Demo as many different options as you can.
Good luck

skinnypuppy71

Aug 10, 2021
Visit site
Just a question..is your turntable your main source?
If so, what is your current cartridge. A cart upgrade could be worth investigation, probably the most noticeable and worthwhile sq upgrade I've ever made to my system in the past.

Reactions: manicm

OpticF

Mar 17, 2022
Visit site
Hi all.
totally new here…

Thanks for advise

Hey,

I created an account just to reply as I have the exact same setup (pm6005 & B&W 685S2) and funnily enough been thinking of getting cxa61 or 81 myself. Other option might be Yamaha A-S701. I hadn't considered NAD c368, but very curious to hear if you ended up upgrading to more powerful amp and how do you feel about it? Made any difference with the current speakers?

I've been struggling with the speakers/amp setup for a while now. I always felt it was missing lot of the lower frequencies and eventually ended up getting a sub to fill in some bass (B&W ASW610). It has definitely helped, but feel like the crossover is not working correctly (at 80hz) or maybe the speakers are not being driven well enough especially on lower volumes. There's lot's of deep bass, but lower end of orchestral strings is just completely missing along with some low midrange. I've also auditioned some Wharfedale floorstanders at home with the same amp to see how I'd feel about something completely different, but came to the conclusion that I prefer the overall sound of the B&Ws, just missing something... that's why now looking at amp like you.
(..also Wharfedale's being ugly as sin might have influenced my opinion there a bit too..)

rainsoothe

Hey,

I created an account just to reply as I have the exact same setup (pm6005 & B&W 685S2) and funnily enough been thinking of getting cxa61 or 81 myself. Other option might be Yamaha A-S701. I hadn't considered NAD c368, but very curious to hear if you ended up upgrading to more powerful amp and how do you feel about it? Made any difference with the current speakers?

I've been struggling with the speakers/amp setup for a while now. I always felt it was missing lot of the lower frequencies and eventually ended up getting a sub to fill in some bass (B&W ASW610). It has definitely helped, but feel like the crossover is not working correctly (at 80hz) or maybe the speakers are not being driven well enough especially on lower volumes. There's lot's of deep bass, but lower end of orchestral strings is just completely missing along with some low midrange. I've also auditioned some Wharfedale floorstanders at home with the same amp to see how I'd feel about something completely different, but came to the conclusion that I prefer the overall sound of the B&Ws, just missing something... that's why now looking at amp like you.
(..also Wharfedale's being ugly as sin might have influenced my opinion there a bit too..)
Hi. I think both you andop would be doing a sideways move (not saying there won't be any difference in sound, just that it will only be a different flavour) with those amps.

Also, for integrating a sub, you need some dirac/eq functionality on your electronics, don't you?

agree! then, Would the c368 be a good choice?
My personal experience of NAD 352 & 370 is they are incredibly powerful, but they lack transparency and openness of similar priced rivals. And NAD don't have phono stages.

Going back to my earlier suggestions the Rotel would be ideal with the B&W, a amp from the 10 or 15 series. That'll also give you wriggle room for future speaker upgrades. And all the Rotel integrated comes with a really good built-in phono stage.

Reactions: Al ears

Ronaldka

Mar 4, 2022
Visit site
Finally decided to buy the Cambridge cxa81.…
But, as expected somehow no perfect match with the b&w685. Still i expected it would be better. I do have more details, but miss some bass, and they sound sharp in certain songs.

Not easy to find a store nearby to go and listen…
A speaker which is advised a lot is the kef ls50 which is currently for sales at 580 euro ( not the meta). Would that be a good choice, or should i spent some more ….

Finally decided to buy the Cambridge cxa81.…
But, as expected somehow no perfect match with the b&w685. Still i expected it would be better. I do have more details, but miss some bass, and they sound sharp in certain songs.

Not easy to find a store nearby to go and listen…
A speaker which is advised a lot is the kef ls50 which is currently for sales at 580 euro ( not the meta). Would that be a good choice, or should i spent some more ….
If you‘ve just bought a brand new Cambridge amplifier it may sound a bit better after being on for a few days. Some components ‘burn-in’ and typically it will sound smoother once that happens. Also, you may acclimatise to a different sound. Not every recording is great - you may just be hearing less than perfect mastering.

The LS50 are excellent with a good source and carefully positioned on suitable stands, some way out from the wall. If you cannot meet those conditions then you’d probably be wasting your time. That’s a good price for new pre-Meta models.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts