Upgrade from Pioneer VSX AX4ASI

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Equalising the subwoofer would be beneficial. But it is not the be all and end all. Sub positioning and setup and far more important and will make the biggest contribution to how it sounds.

I agree with Series1boy. Give some Yamahas and Marantzs an audition too if that's possible.

I have an Android SPL app for my note 4. I think the accuracy of these will be dependent on how good your devices microphones are and how good the software the app is using is. The first one I used seemed way off. It showed 40db during an action scene from a movie. I decided to delete the app and do some homework and found a far superior one.
I doubt it will ever be as accurate as a standalone SPL meter but the levels seem pretty honest and when I've sat in my listening position and pointed it at each speaker it shows 74/75/76 db. This is when a test tone is played through each speaker at 0db. This also shows that YPAO did a good job at getting my setup calibrated.

michael hoy

ClassAct said:
Equalising the subwoofer would be beneficial. But it is not the be all and end all. Sub positioning and setup and far more important and will make the biggest contribution to how it sounds.

I agree with Series1boy. Give some Yamahas and Marantzs an audition too if that's possible.

I have an Android SPL app for my note 4. I think the accuracy of these will be dependent on how good your devices microphones are and how good the software the app is using is. The first one I used seemed way off. It showed 40db during an action scene from a movie. I decided to delete the app and do some homework and found a far superior one. I doubt it will ever be as accurate as a standalone SPL meter but the levels seem pretty honest and when I've sat in my listening position and pointed it at each speaker it shows 74/75/76 db. This is when a test tone is played through each speaker at 0db. This also shows that YPAO did a good job at getting my setup calibrated.

When using a SPL meter or equivalent do not point the device at the speakers this is wrong.

The SPL meter should be at you listening position at ear height and pointing upwards.

And do not move it until finished.

Depending on the amp / receiver multiple positions can be used or one single position.

ClassAct

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Whoops! Looks like I've been incorrect in my measurement then. I apologise for the misinformation. I will have to run the spl again.

TRENDING THREADS