Upgrade from HD Ready TV

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Morning all

Currently have an HD Ready TV and I am considering upgrading this.

Am I right to assume that ( all other things being equal) that Full HD is better than HD ready, 4K ready is better than Full HD, Full 4k is better....you get the picture .

Have an old SD DVD player& I need to connect this to the TV via scart socket and all of my DVD's are 'standard'

Really then, my question is, for my price point of about £400 , should I go for Full HD or 4k Ready..?

Thank you for your time

You'll struggle to find a TV with a scart socket now. They've all got HDMI sockets. To be honest, for DVDs, the picture quality will actually deteriorate when you go for a higher resolution TV, because of the amount of upscaling involved. You need to upgrade to a blu ray player at least to get the full benefits of HD or 4K TVs.

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Bigboss,

Thank you for your input. Valid point re the upscaling& other consideration also is that the connections from DVD player to my old amplifier are also of 'pre HDMI'vintage, ie the old analogue connections. Any blu ray player will need to be compatible ...

You'll need a player with analogue outputs. Blu ray players are getting rarer now, after the advent of 4K blu ray players. I can't find any blu ray player with analogue outs currently; Panasonic DP-UB820 is a 4K blu ray player with analogue outs, currently selling for £399 which I think is the cheapest with analogue outs. Of course, upgrading the amp opens up the entire market of cheap players.

abacus

If you are stuck you can get something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Converter-ELEPHAS-Adapter-Support-Set-top-Black/dp/B00RMMGOGS/ref=pd_sim_107_4?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=0NHCZH3M9W0B5GG3F3PP to convert your Scart to HDMI which will allow you to use a modern TV.

In addition while few modern TVs have Scart a lot do have component connections which a lot of the decent DVD players also had, so this may be an option if your DVD Player has them.

Bill

cs2011

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
tom2b said:
Morning all

Currently have an HD Ready TV and I am considering upgrading this.

Am I right to assume that ( all other things being equal) that Full HD is better than HD ready, 4K ready is better than Full HD, Full 4k is better....you get the picture .

Have an old SD DVD player& I need to connect this to the TV via scart socket and all of my DVD's are 'standard'

Really then, my question is, for my price point of about £400 , should I go for Full HD or 4k Ready..?

Thank you for your time

I have an 8 year old Sony 40" Full HD TV, and I bought a Sony KD-49XE9005 (4K) TV to replace it. It quickly became apparent that the HD performance was not as good as my old TV, and the SD channels looked terrible, no matter how much I tweaked the settings. After a few days, I sent it back for a refund as it was just intolerable.

Unless you really intend to watch a lot of 4K material and won't be watching much SD, I would stick with FHD. The problem is that they are now very thin on the ground, and almost impossible to demo.

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Thank you all for your advice

@BigBoss~looking at the Richer Sounds website, they have a Pioneer BDP180 which does have analogue output :) ~ do you think this would be good match for my library of DVD's (some of which are rather poor optical quality) and, when it eventually comes, a Full HD TV ?

tom2b

May 7, 2012
Visit site
..Ahem,please dont laugh ~ just the two ... I am using an old Teac Reference 300 amplifier .; very adequate for my needs; the only thing I am missing is the abililty to somehow hook up a subwoofer to my set up

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts