Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi wise forum-dwellers !

In the process of upgrading my setup.

Upgraded speakers from Wharfedale Diamond 9 to Focal Aria 906 last year.

Got my new TT - Technics SL1500C to replace a Audio Technica AT-LP 5.

So, I am now wondering whether I should upgrade amp.

I currently have a Denon PMA-800NE which I like well enough but I am wondering if I would get the best out of the TT and speakers with another amp - found a couple of Cambridge Audio CXA61 for around £400.

As I said, I like the Denon and its warmth, but wouldn’t mind a little more soundstage.

How does the CA compare? And what about sound signature? Read somewhere that it’s lively and fun but somewhere else that, coupled with the Focal (which are quite neutral) not as much.

So, is it a clear upgrade or should I hold out (say until Xmas) and go for something better? If so, suggestions (keeping in mind the preference for engaging and warm sound over neutral)?

Other preferences: Bluetooth, DAC, and would need to connect two sets of speakers (living room and kitchen) which sadly restricts the choice.

Reactions: Kenneth Fernandes
Hi wise forum-dwellers !

In the process of upgrading my setup.

Upgraded speakers from Wharfedale Diamond 9 to Focal Aria 906 last year.

Got my new TT - Technics SL1500C to replace a Audio Technica AT-LP 5.

So, I am now wondering whether I should upgrade amp.

I currently have a Denon PMA-800NE which I like well enough but I am wondering if I would get the best out of the TT and speakers with another amp - found a couple of Cambridge Audio CXA61 for around £400.

As I said, I like the Denon and its warmth, but wouldn’t mind a little more soundstage.

How does the CA compare? And what about sound signature? Read somewhere that it’s lively and fun but somewhere else that, coupled with the Focal (which are quite neutral) not as much.

So, is it a clear upgrade or should I hold out (say until Xmas) and go for something better? If so, suggestions (keeping in mind the preference for engaging and warm sound over neutral)?

Other preferences: Bluetooth, DAC, and would need to connect two sets of speakers (living room and kitchen) which sadly restricts the choice.
I don't think replacing your Denon, which originally cost around £500, with the Cambridge would be.an upgrade. More of a sideways move.

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Well, new it was £350 and the CA is £650 - but I bought it probably 5 years ago so maybe not much difference. And that was my gut feeling. Tbh don’t even really need to upgrade (just like to jazz things up every now and then ha!). It’s mostly that I came across these factory refurbs and I got tempted.

I’ll just let them slip and hold out for a proper upgrade maybe next year or so - suggestions in the £800-1k area?

On another note, on another thread, someone suggested the Focal would need a MUCH more powerful amp - they suggested 125WPC which seems insane to me. Thoughts?

Well, new it was £350 and the CA is £650 - but I bought it probably 5 years ago so maybe not much difference. And that was my gut feeling. Tbh don’t even really need to upgrade (just like to jazz things up every now and then ha!). It’s mostly that I came across these factory refurbs and I got tempted.

I’ll just let them slip and hold out for a proper upgrade maybe next year or so - suggestions in the £800-1k area?

On another note, on another thread, someone suggested the Focal would need a MUCH more powerful amp - they suggested 125WPC which seems insane to me. Thoughts?
You got the Denon for a very good price then....

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
If you want more soundstage it could be as simple is moving the speakers to a different position/angle.

I would experiment with that first if you can and might well save yourself a few pennies. 😁
Yes, done that already 😁

Focal recommends a 2m triangle, but I find keeping 3m between speakers and 2/2.5m away from me gets even better soundstage. Sadly I have a typical Victorian narrow living room, so not much room for experimenting.

Need to sell and move elsewhere 😂

Anyway. Yeah, don’t really need to upgrade. I think I just got GAS-induced itchy hands 😬.

I am probably better off saving that money to buy more records haha

Last edited:
Reactions: Messiah

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Right, just read the really useful article on “how to control upgradeitis” - which ‘somehow’ appeared at the top of this page

All well and good but not everyone has scores of audiophile friends to go to and listen to music on their kit - and I have not heard of many hi-fi shows. Shops yes but then again, to find one that has all the (other) components same as yours, is pretty hard. And I see not much point in listening to an amp if the source player and/or the speakers are different (changing the order of components does not change the result).

For these reasons, I ended up buying most of my components without audition. The only exception being my Focal Aria - which were anyway tested with a different amp and streamer, and actually sound better in my house than in the shop - proving my point above.

Thoughts?

Right, just read the really useful article on “how to control upgradeitis” - which ‘somehow’ appeared at the top of this page

All well and good but not everyone has scores of audiophile friends to go to and listen to music on their kit - and I have not heard of many hi-fi shows. Shops yes but then again, to find one that has all the (other) components same as yours, is pretty hard. And I see not much point in listening to an amp if the source player and/or the speakers are different (changing the order of components does not change the result).

For these reasons, I ended up buying most of my components without audition. The only exception being my Focal Aria - which were anyway tested with a different amp and streamer, and actually sound better in my house than in the shop - proving my point above.

Thoughts?
Getting the right speakers for your room is crucial. The other components are pretty much meaningless if the amp has required power to drive those speakers.
That said I bought my speakers purely on spec and they have moved room twice. Still brilliant mind you....

Reactions: nopiano and DougK1

Entrigo

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Getting the right speakers for your room is crucial. The other components are pretty much meaningless if the amp has required power to drive those speakers.
That said I bought my speakers purely on spec and they have moved room twice. Still brilliant mind you....
Yeah that’s why I went with the Focal Aria - they were pretty much the only front ported speakers in my desired bracket/budget range, as I have little space between them and the back wall/bookshelf. Though having listened to and really liked an older pair of Focal, I kinda wanted them in the first place anyway.

I have found only two shops within reasonable distance (one in London, one in Coventry where my wife’s family lives) which have both the Denon PMA1700 and the Focal. Asked if I can demo the Denon with those speakers. If not, I might have to go for an older/cheaper amp (Marantz 7200, which can be found for £300 and has more wpc, or Denon 1500) as spending £1300 on specs alone might be a step too far.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts