Upgrade Dilemma (Sub or Speakers?)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've recently been considering my options as far as an up grade of my home cinema. At present I have B&W M 1 surround speakers with a Monitor Audio RXW-12 sub. The problem is I'm not completely happy with the way my system sounds with music. I feel I'm missing a sense of scale and I'm also not happy with the mid-range and bass. I feel it could be more full and forceful.

I've auditioned MA's Apex and MA's RX1 speakers (I had a hard time convincing my wife to consider anything bigger than the M1's) and could hear the improvement over my current setup but I was still not blown away as I'd hoped. I've also considered changing my sub to the B&W PV1D. Which of these options do the forums readers think will give me the biggest improvement for my money?

Timbot

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm afraid I'm no expert but to me it looks like you've got a pretty decent sub so the problem possibly lies with the speakers. What are you using as your source, DAC etc. with this system?

A

Anonymous

Hi Timbot, at the minute my two main sources are my Oppo 93 for Flac and 24 bit music and my Mac Mini for AAC and Mp3.

I've looked at Dacs like the M-Dac but i've not really given it much thought because I want to improve the sound of my over all system.

D

Deleted member 2457

Jase Brown said:
I've recently been considering my options as far as an up grade of my home cinema. At present I have B&W M 1 surround speakers with a Monitor Audio RXW-12 sub. The problem is I'm not completely happy with the way my system sounds with music. I feel I'm missing a sense of scale and I'm also not happy with the mid-range and bass. I feel it could be more full and forceful.

I've auditioned MA's Apex and MA's RX1 speakers (I had a hard time convincing my wife to consider anything bigger than the M1's) and could hear the improvement over my current setup but I was still not blown away as I'd hoped. I've also considered changing my sub to the B&W PV1D. Which of these options do the forums readers think will give me the biggest improvement for my money?

I had the same issues when I had the M1's, I then upgraded to the FPM speakers and music sounds on another planet! It just booms out!
smiley-smile.gif

atkins4725

Jul 17, 2007
Visit site
Hi Jase,

I'm in a similar situation to yourself! Really not happy with music at all and it is definitely something to do with the lower end, maybe I have the sub setup incorrectly??? After Xmas either the sub is getting changed to the PV1D or the whole apex system will be replaced with B&W CM range.

A

Anonymous

Hi BenLaw, I'm looking for a quite neutral sound but still enjoy a strong mid range and bass. The setup I have at the minute is detailed but lacks the mid-bass definition I'm looking for. That's why I listened to the Apex and RX1's (as I said size and looks are important). The listening room was probably twice the size of my own room so this will have effected my over all view, but it was still lacklustre at the bottom end. I don't know if this was down to my choice of sub though. That's why my other option was to change the sub to the PV1D.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I'm not personally a fan of the PV1, tho I haven't heard the latest version. I think you have a good sub and it's clear to me you need larger speakers for stereo duties. A neutral sound with a very transparent midrange and a clean bass (with your sub filling in below 80hz) I would suggest ATC SCM7, slightly smaller than the RX1s, similar price and sealed box so easy placement. Don't know if they pass your personal looks test.

A

Anonymous

I've had a word with someone who's opinion I trust from Sevenoaks and he said much the same as you. He thinks the new PV1D is better than the old one but still no better than my RXW-12. I'm going to demo the apex again as last time I took discs I knew sounded a little flat to see if the new speakers could improve things. Maybe this wasn't a fair test and I should listen again?

A

Anonymous

I'm also considering a change of amplification, as this might make the biggest differents to the overall sound? I've a Pioneer LX53 at the minute and am looking at Onkyo, Denon and Yamaha. Any suggestions?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts