Upgrade an Rega RP40 or buy an RP8?

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
I have been using a Rega RP40 for about a year now and I want to upgrade the table or buy a new one. Wondering where I should spend my money? If I upgrade the RP40 I would do the following to it.

1. Groovetracer Subplatter and new bearing

2. Groovetracer Delrin Platter

3. - Groovetracer Counterweight

4. Rega White Belt

5. Cardas Incognito rewire for the tonearm

6. New Cartidge. Exact 2, Nagaoka MP-500, Dynavector 20X2, or Soundsmith Carmen.

OR

Just buy a new Turntable like a Rega RP6, RP8, VPI Scout 1.1, Clearaudio Concept Wood, or Origin Live Aurora MK3. Any suggestions? What would you do?

Happy_Listener said:
I have been using a Rega RP40 for about a year now and I want to upgrade the table or buy a new one. Wondering where I should spend my money? If I upgrade the RP40 I would do the following to it.

1. Groovetracer Subplatter and new bearing

2. Groovetracer Delrin Platter

3. - Groovetracer Counterweight

4. Rega White Belt

5. Cardas Incognito rewire for the tonearm

6. New Cartidge. Exact 2, Nagaoka MP-500, Dynavector 20X2, or Soundsmith Carmen.

OR

Just buy a new Turntable like a Rega RP6, RP8, VPI Scout 1.1, Clearaudio Concept Wood, or Origin Live Aurora MK3. Any suggestions? What would you do?

Personally I'd buy the Origin Live Aurora, then stick something like the Silver or Onyx tonearm on it (or second hand Encounter if you can find one) then get a Nagaoka MP200 cartridge...... but then I am biased. :)

You can do all that for not a lot more than the cost of an RP8 and it will beat the Rega hands down.

Happy_Listener

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site
Hey Al,

You're recomandation was a good one, but I went for the moon instead and bought a Rega RP10! It won't be here for a couple of weeks. I bought it sight unseen and unheard but I trust that Rega makes a good product. Should be interesting and fun when it arrives.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts