Upgrade Amp to use with BW 607 s2

Sep 17, 2024
Visit site
HI guys, im new here and would appreciate a little help.

I am looking to upgrade my Amp. I currently have a Yamaha R S202D, paired with BW 607 S2 and a Dual CS418 TT.

What started in my head as a simple upgrade of a budget £275 Amp replacement to something in the £400-700 has got me totally confused. This is all down to what ive read and my understanding of wattage output to the speakers. My understanding being as the speakers require 8 ohms I need more power. The Amps im looking at Rotel A11, Arcam A5, Audiolab 600, Leak 130 would appear not to have the wattage compared to my current yamaha. The other Amps I have been looking at are all cambridge but I have read they don't pair well with the speakers ?

Any opinion would be greatly received

Thanks

Integralista

Feb 9, 2024
Visit site
Hi Dennis,

to make the story short, the weak link in your system is mainly basic yamaha amp. And phono preamp integrated in your Dual. Otherwice, your Dual is solide, good sounding machine. Question is which cartridge do you use? Cartridge has big influence on sound. B@W 607s2 are solide low sensitivity speakers for small room, max 12-15 m². For such room I recommend very good smaller amp class AB with 50wattx2. More you do not need. More important is sound quality. Amps mentioned by you are good except Leak 130. This amp play in local soccer league. Audiolab is cold, less musical which is not good in combination with speakers like B@W607s2, which in their class are also quite cold, more analytic. Combine two more analytic components will create combination which is not easy listening, not musical. For your speakers you need amp like Cambridge Audio CXA61 or 81 or Rega Brio or similar. I use Brio in my small system. Sound is musical, has energy, verve and very good phono preamp inside. Ohono in Brio is better than phono in your Dual. So here is better to switch of phono preamp in Dual and use external one. Sound will be better. But you need also good cartridge. Some Ortofon 2 blue, bronze or similar like Hana EL moss green will be fine. And some good cables of course. BR.

Sep 17, 2024
Visit site
Hi Dennis,

to make the story short, the weak link in your system is mainly basic yamaha amp. And phono preamp integrated in your Dual. Otherwice, your Dual is solide, good sounding machine. Question is which cartridge do you use? Cartridge has big influence on sound. B@W 607s2 are solide low sensitivity speakers for small room, max 12-15 m². For such room I recommend very good smaller amp class AB with 50wattx2. More you do not need. More important is sound quality. Amps mentioned by you are good except Leak 130. This amp play in local soccer league. Audiolab is cold, less musical which is not good in combination with speakers like B@W607s2, which in their class are also quite cold, more analytic. Combine two more analytic components will create combination which is not easy listening, not musical. For your speakers you need amp like Cambridge Audio CXA61 or 81 or Rega Brio or similar. I use Brio in my small system. Sound is musical, has energy, verve and very good phono preamp inside. Ohono in Brio is better than phono in your Dual. So here is better to switch of phono preamp in Dual and use external one. Sound will be better. But you need also good cartridge. Some Ortofon 2 blue, bronze or similar like Hana EL moss green will be fine. And some good cables of course. BR.
Thanks for the reply, the cartridge is
Hi Dennis,

Sorry, the cartridge is a red Ortofon, Ive looked at the Rega and would prefer Tone control and possibly blutooth
Thanks

Hi Dennis,

The Hana EL is a low output moving coil so not a good idea....
Particularly with any of those amplifiers you suggest

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts