Upgrade Advice

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all

I have Marantz CD6000OSE KI Sig, NAD C370 & C270 (Bi-Amped) and B&W DM603 S1 Speakers. (QED Silver profile 12 Speaker cable & Van Den Hul Interconnects)

System can sound a little bright and harsh on occasion and now have funds for upgrade. Have a large living area to fill so am considering new floorstanders thought of B&W 684 or Monitor Audio RS6 and possibly replacing the CD Player also or are the amps the problem???

Any help gratefully recieved !!

Cheers

JJ

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
If you are finding the 603's bright, then I would avoid the RS6s (as much as I love mine) as they will tend to be even brighter. Saying that, a lot of people find the QED cable quite bright, so it might be worth trying some copper cable (Chord seems to be in favour at the moment?)

Either that, or how about a pair of Rega R5s? Very musical, and warmer sounding compared to the RS6s.

I think a lengthy audition could be in order JimJams...

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Jim Jams"]
Hi all

I have Marantz CD6000OSE KI Sig, NAD C370 & C270 (Bi-Amped) and B&W DM603 S1 Speakers. (QED Silver profile 12 Speaker cable & Van Den Hul Interconnects)

System can sound a little bright and harsh on occasion and now have funds for upgrade. Have a large living area to fill so am considering new floorstanders thought of B&W 684 or Monitor Audio RS6 and possibly replacing the CD Player also or are the amps the problem???

Any help gratefully recieved !!

Cheers

JJ

[/quote]

You have what was a nice little system in its day but I think you should consider replacing everything. All your components can be bettered without great difficulty depending on how you like your music and financial situation. Perhaps you can give some more details.

A

Anonymous

Thanks all for that

I'll check out some new cable and maybe look at the source also as I read somewhere the 6000 KI can be bright if not partnered well but rega R5's sound interesting on the speaker front as do long auditions! Still running my old Systemdek IIX by the way which I have to say sounds better than the KI even though it needs a new cartridge !!

Ditching the Nads would be painful as I love the power and authority but if a total system redo was on the cards I have a budget of around £1500.00 for upgrades/replacements possibly a little more and listen to almost anything but mainly rock, 80's (sorry!) motown, rhythm & Blues and classical with a bit of punk here and there.

The system is in a room measuring 7Mtrs by 5Mtrs a reasonable size hence my leaning towards floorstanders in the past.

Thanks again!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts