Upgrade advice

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
lindsayt said:
nopiano said:
At this level, it is almost impossible to suggest anything to significantly improve what you have, with your budget. A lot of products will sound different, but as you've discovered, it isn't easy t get the balance you seek. And quite why you now want to change isn't that obvious!

Maybe try to hear a ten grand plus system to see if that is something to aspire to. You might not necessarily like it!

But I'd stick to MF and ProAc if you like them, as there is lots of used choice from which you could re-sell if dissatisfied.

Or go for a complete change, perhaps, with Naim or Linn.

Lastly, I'm not sure DAC technology has advanced hugely for cd replay. The main advances have been for hi-res computer sourced music.

I totally disagree.

I'd concentrate on the speakers first, if I had pravstars room and system. He may find there's no need to change them if he gets the right speakers.

For £1500 second hand there are loads of speakers that will sound significantly better than his Prozacs.

Classic horns and horn hybrids from the likes of Altec, Klipsch and EV. Large vintage sealed box speakers. Electrostatics.

Also, I can understand why Pravstar wants to change. If I had his speakers I'd be looking to swap them for something else ASAP.
I appreciate that you have a rare attraction to huge speakers, Lindsay, (especially in the UK) but given Pravstar's current selections, I felt it fair to presume it was close to his ideal, as he stated.

If he'd wanted completely different, then your ideas nay have some merit.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
I don't recall me saying my system was world class.when I say sublime....I mean quite nice..that's all....oh and my mediocre system only set me back 6k not a patch on your own 13-15 k superduper thingy jig.get off yer high horse ya d#$k.
Oi!! Do not call me a d#$k.

That is 100% totally out of order. That sort of name calling.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
nopiano said:
I appreciate that you have a rare attraction to huge speakers, Lindsay, (especially in the UK) but given Pravstar's current selections, I felt it fair to presume it was close to his ideal, as he stated.

If he'd wanted completely different, then your ideas nay have some merit.
Yeah, it's so close to his ideal that he's seriously thinking of selling the lot!

Which quite frankly is exactly what I'd do if I had his system in his room.

Well Lindsay you insulted me first buddy.but I do apologise I was a bit cranky at the time.but you must realise that we all have different needs /comprises when it comes to hi-fi....I'd love to have some pmc floordtanders etc... but my situation dictates that it's not possible and the wife wouldn't be having it either.so in the meantime my 2021's fit right in and they sound more than adequate for my needs.

Well..I've just about put every penny I have into my hi-fi,which is a big deal for me..I'm not a wealthy man and for someone to tell me it's nothing but mediocre is a bit insulting.I would never tell someone on the site that....and to do so is pure elitist and arrogant.my view anyway and I'm sure you probably didn't mean it to come across as such..but it did.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Mark, I've said this before a few times and I'll say it again now.

My participation on this forum, is, for me, the equivalent of talking about football down the pub with a few mates. Except I'm talking about hi-fi over the internet.

Down the pub we will say all sorts of things about each others teams. I never feel insulted if anyone criticises my team. It's only football.

Down the pub, if the conversation ever becomes personally abusive, then the instigator is told to stop it.

On this forum. It's only hi-fi that we're talking about.

You've spent a large proportion of your disposable income on hi-fi. That's fine. I work with someone that goes to every Liverpool match, home and away. Tot up how much that costs per year! Still doesn't stop me giving him my honest assessment of his team down the pub - and vice versa.

Fair do's.I can live with that.sometimes reading text can be completely different to actually hearing it being spoken...tone is everything within conversation.Anyway I've got no beef with you...just a bit cranky the other day.If I'm ever after a great sounding vintage system someday..I know who to ask for.

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Switching the subject back to the post I had a look at horn speakers, I actually had a listen to some klipsch vs b &w via YouTube and the higher sensitivity klipsch speakers sounded better but brighter. Was a real good eye opener and just made me think I need to look into things more. The set amps also intrigued me btw.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input, the non conventional options still has me thinking and I'm really going to give this more food for thought.

pravstar

Mar 14, 2015
Visit site
Switching the subject back to the post I had a look at horn speakers, I actually had a listen to some klipsch vs b &w via YouTube and the higher sensitivity klipsch speakers sounded better but brighter. Was a real good eye opener and just made me think I need to look into things more. The set amps also intrigued me btw.

I wanted to thank everyone for their input, the non conventional options still has me thinking and I'm really going to give this more food for thought.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts