Upgrade advice, my setup doesnt wow/move me anymore and cant carry newer music as good.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

KlausVinyl

Sep 19, 2022
Visit site
Setup upgrade advice.
(this was an email to some experts with no response yet)

Hi whathifi Community,

Im Klaus (started when i was 16 currently 20) from the Netherlands and i am really into records but i feel that my setup is lacking
and perhaps failing my nice records to get to that next level (anymore) and i need advice.

I currently own a Audio technica Atlp120xusb with a Nagaoka mp 110 needle.
Which goes into a Marantz PM-25 Integrated Amp into a set of vintage B&W DM12's.

If i would have a budget of 1000 what should i tackle first and what are nice keepers?

And what are other gradual steps further up the ladder for someone who is willing to invest gradually?

I feel like i am missing quite some Low end and a bit more clarity.

Any other advice is welcome!( My cleaning, handling and care of the records and turntable are good and informed btw)

(To paint more of a picture of who i am) I try to invest good money into good pressings/vinylof my favorite records via discogs or second hand and i mainly listen to Jazz, Jazz Fusion/Rock, Prog and Hard Rock, Electronic, Ambient, Hiphop and R&B.

My favorite bands and Jazz leaders and etc. are: Soft Machine, Can, King Crimson, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, John and Alice Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Pharoah Sanders, Mccoy Tyner, Erroll Garner, Caravan, Tangerine Dream, Dexter Gordon, Eric Dolphy, Mingus, Black Sabbath, Gentle Giant, Frank Zappa& The Mothers, Captain Beefheart.
Floating Points, Tyler the Creator and Mac Miller.

Just to name a few(actually quite a lot , excuse my enthusiasm and i just wanted to paint the picture even better and thorough)

Thank you in advance for reading this and even taking the time to respond and process this, it would mean quite a lot.

Kind regards.

Last edited:
Im also considering the Marantz PM6007 amp , how would that compete with the Rotel?
They are comparable for sure. To some extent, it comes down to price, availability, and other practical things, unless you have a friendly dealer with both that you can see, hear and feel.

There may be rivals by Denon, Yamaha and suchlike, but again I’ve no idea what you have available. Here’s a snapshot from a large UK dealer as an example.

D80A9B93-D400-4B99-A381-700F0623119E.png

Reactions: KlausVinyl

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts