Updated review Panasonic BD60 - question for the WHF team

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just read the updated review of the BD60 in the Best Buy section. I was interested in purchasing this or the BD35 as an upgrade to my existing PS3, particularly for the sound. My question is, in light of the 'brittle' high end of the sound, should I be looking elsewhere for an upgrade in performance?

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
Either Panasonic will offer improvements in picture and sound over your PS3 - the BD60, especially, delivers really fine images - but the differences aren't gobsmacking. They're both quite a lot quieter and easier to use too, though, which I personally find important. What sort of money have you seen the two Panas for?

A

Anonymous

Well, i've seen the BD35 at £160 pounds at Amazon.co.uk (with a free blu ray thrown in) while the BD60 is about £230. The BD80 is £320, so double the price of the BD35. The BD35 is such a bargain at the moment that I am very tempted by it, especially if it is a worthwhile upgrade over the PS3. I would be using it bitstreaming the HD codecs to a Denon 1909, Kef 3005SE and Sony KDL-W4500.

A

Anonymous

Andy - I think you should have said ''I agree with ValianTX''!!!
emotion-15.gif

Andy Clough:I'd agree with Simon. Go for the BD35 at £160.

The only problem with both these players (BD35 & BD60) I see, is the loading time. Compared to Sony S350/S360 & S550/560, which one would you recommend?

Because both the S360 & S560 have not been launched yet, I've bought a PS3 (that's not being replaced anytime soon, & is not going to go down in price either) & will later decide on which blu-ray player to buy. I still think blu-ray players have a lot to improve on performance, especially the loading time, & have to get cheaper, which, I suspect, will happen in the later half of this year.

A

Anonymous

Done! Ordered the BD35 from amazon, and should be with me by tomorrow! Thanks for all your replies on this topic, much appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Will do - received it yesterday, so hope to have a good play with it tonight. I'll post my thoughts on it then.

A

Anonymous

I'm watching Take That in Concert in blu-ray now, and this player never fails to amaze me!

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
ValianTX:I'm watching Take That in Concert in blu-ray now

You never fail to amaze me...

I'm glad to know that I'm of some entertainment value to you, Andrew!
emotion-19.gif

A

Anonymous

al7478:
Yes, but its a wonder TT are of any entertainment value to you...

Anyway, glad you like it.

I absolutely love them!!

A

Anonymous

Well, i've had my BD35 over the weekend now and I thought i'd post some thoughts on it, comparing it with my launch PS3. Overall, i'm pretty happy with it. There is an improvement in picture over the PS3 - not in terms of sharpness or colours, but in the amount of noise in the picture which is noticably less with the BD35, more noticable on some discs than others. Some BD discs also seem to have that 'three dimensionality' which i've heard mentioned by some people when talking about high-def but hadn't really seen for myself till now. Soundwise, bitstreaming to my Denon-1909 yields a subtle improvement in the directionality of movie sound, with a little more immersion that when PCM'ing with the PS3. DVD upscaling is pretty similar to the PS3. Strangely, one of the biggest improvements i've noticed is with CD playback. I know it doesn't compare to a dedicated CD player, but it's made me appreciate just how rubbish the PS3 is with music. I always wondered why music didn't sound so good through my new(ish) Kef 3005SEs, and hoped it was the PS3 at fault (rather than the amp or speakers). And it turns out to be the case. Even my wife noticed the improvement (and that's saying something!). Lastly, the BD35 is extremely easy to region hack using a £15 remote bought from Argos, and now plays back my region 1 DVDs with no problems. So overall, £162 well spent. Thanks for all your replies on this again - i'm off to watch The Dark Knight for the hundredth time...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts